Lewes, DE -- (SBWIRE) -- 04/28/2014 -- Belize is one the smaller countries in the region, with fewer than 350,000 inhabitants. It is the only English-speaking nation in Central America, having closer affinities with the Caribbean region than with its immediate neighbours.
While Belize's GDP per capita is high for Central America, its telecoms services remain poor by regional standards. Both fixed-line teledensity and mobile penetration are lower than in neighbouring countries.
The Belizean telecom market was officially liberalised in 2003, yet the incumbent, Belize Telemedia Limited, continues to hold a monopoly in fixed-line services and is the dominant provider of mobile and broadband services. In 2009, the state renationalised Belize Telemedia Limited, after a change of government brought to light a questionable Accommodation Agreement between the previous administration and Belize Telemedia Limited.
Although the rationale for the nationalisation was to improve conditions for consumers, Belize Telemedia Limited's prices remain high and competition is marginal. The nationalisation further discourages foreign investment in a market plagued by frequent allegations of corruption.
Browse this report- http://www.marketresearchreports.com/paul-budde-communication-pty-ltd/belize-telecoms-ip-networks-digital-media-and-forecasts
- The number of fixed lines continues to fall as customers adopt mobile services for basic telecoms. This has kept fixed-line teledensity low, while mobile penetration continues to rise steadily. The mobile sector account for over bout 90% of all phone subscriptions in the country.
- SpeedNet is making inroads in the mobile sector, securing a sizeable market share.
- By the close of the Belize Telemedia Limited public share offer in early 2011 the Belize Social Security Board was the largest purchaser. By 2012 the government’s stake was reduced to 64%.
- Compared with its other economic indicators, penetration is low in Belize for virtually all telecom services. An independent, pro-competition and transparent telecoms regime supported by an effective regulatory framework is needed to develop the telecom market, making it more attractive for investors despite the market’s small size.
- In early 2012 DigiCell contracted Ericsson to install an HSPA+ network nationally, enabling effecting mobile broadband nationally.
- BTL in April 2013 began allowing unrestricted VoIP access for the first time.
Find all Telecom Infrastructure and Networks Reports : http://www.marketresearchreports.com/telecom-infrastructure-networks
Find other reports on Belize Market at : http://www.marketresearchreports.com/countries/belize
About Market Research Reports, Inc.
Market Research Reports, Inc. is the world's leading source for market research reports and market data. We provide you with the latest market research reports on global markets, key industries, leading companies, new products and latest industry analysis & trends.
For regular industry updates subscribe to our newsletter at: http://www.marketresearchreports.com/subscribe-to-newsletter
Follow us on Vimeo : http://vimeo.com/marketresearchreports