Lewes, DE -- (SBWIRE) -- 07/03/2014 -- In terms of number of cards in circulation, the Hong Kong card payments channel registered positive growth during the review period (2009–2013), recording a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.23% to reach 50.8 million cards in 2013. In terms of transaction value, the card payments channel valued HKD943.9 billion (US$121.7 billion) in 2013, after registering a CAGR of 10.94%. Improved banking infrastructure and the increasing acceptance of card-based payments at point-of-sale (POS) terminals were key growth drivers for the card payments channel.
In terms of transaction value, credit cards accounted for the highest share during review period with 51.7% in 2013, and are expected to maintain this over the forecast period (2014?2018). The category is expected to post a forecast-period CAGR of 3.31% from HKD512.1 billion (US$66.0 billion) in 2014 to HKD583.3 billion (US$75.2 billion) in 2018. The second-highest share in terms of transaction value was held by debit cards with 40.9%, followed by prepaid cards (5.7%) and charge cards (1.7%).
The debit card category is anticipated to post a forecast-period CAGR of 1.31%, while the prepaid card category is expected to register a CAGR of 2.56% and the credit card category is projected to record a CAGR of 2.45% over the forecast period. Due to the convenience of electronic payments, the emergence of contactless payment systems and an increase in security features, Hong Kong’s population have been encouraged to perform more card-based transactions. Despite the financial crisis, Hong Kong recorded a growth in credit card expenditure, supported by the increased acceptance of these cards at POS terminals and associated benefits associated such as reward points, discounts and cashback. All the major global card scheme providers ? Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Diners Club and JCB International (JCB) ? have a presence in the country’s credit card category.
The prepaid cards category grew at a strong pace during the review period, a trend that is anticipated to continue over the forecast period. The rising demand for Octopus cards supported the category’s growth. Initially developed to be used for public transit systems, the cards are now used for to make payments at car parks, leisure facilities and retail outlets. These cards are compatible with contactless payments, and facilitate faster payments.
Total card fraud in Hong Kong recorded a review-period CAGR of -4.70%, declining from HKD10.5 million (US$1.4 million) in 2009 to HKD8.6 million (US$1.1 million) in 2013. As part of offering enhanced security for automatic teller machine (ATM) transactions, in June 2011, the Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA) announced the implementation of chip-based technology for all ATM services. This process is expected to be completed by the end of 2015.
Browse this report: http://www.marketresearchreports.com/timetric/hong-kongs-cards-and-payments-industry-emerging-opportunities-trends-size-drivers
The report provides top-level market analysis, information and insights on Hong Kong's cards and payments industry, including:
- Current and forecast values for each category of Hong Kong's cards and payments industry, including debit cards, credit cards, charge cards and prepaid cards
- Comprehensive analysis of the industry’s market attractiveness and future growth areas
- Analysis of various market drivers and regulations governing Hong Kong's cards and payments industry
- Detailed analysis of the marketing strategies adopted for selling debit, credit, charge and prepaid cards used by banks and other institutions in the market
- Comprehensive analysis of consumer attitudes and buying preferences for cards
- The competitive landscape of Hong Kong's cards and payments industry
- This report provides a comprehensive analysis of Hong Kong's cards and payments industry.
- It provides current values for Hong Kong's cards and payments industry for 2013, and forecast figures for 2018.
- It details the different economic, infrastructural and business drivers affecting Hong Kong's cards and payments industry.
- It outlines the current regulatory framework in the industry.
- It details the marketing strategies used by various banks and other institutions.
- It profiles the major banks in Hong Kong's cards and payments industry.
Reasons to Buy
- Make strategic business decisions using top-level historic and forecast market data related to Hong Kong's cards and payments industry and each market within it.
- Understand the key market trends and growth opportunities within Hong Kong's cards and payments industry.
- Assess the competitive dynamics in Hong Kong's cards and payments industry.
- Gain insights in to the marketing strategies used for selling various card types in Hong Kong.
- Gain insights into key regulations governing Hong Kong's cards and payments industry.
Spanning over 102 pages, “Hong Kong's Cards and Payments Industry: Emerging Opportunities, Trends, Size, Drivers, Strategies, Products and Competitive Landscape” report covering the Analysis of Industry Environment, Key Trends and Drivers, Cards and Payments Industry Share Analysis, Regulatory Framework and Card Fraud Statistics, Emerging Consumer Attitudes and Trends, Analysis of Card Payments and Growth Prospects, Analysis of Credit Card Payments and Growth Prospects, Analysis of Debit Card Payments and Growth Prospects, Analysis of Charge Card Payments and Growth Prospects, Analysis of Prepaid Card Payments and Growth Prospects, Merchant Acquiring, Company Profiles of Card Issuers, Appendix. The report covered 11 companies - HSBC, Standard Chartered Bank (Hong Kong), Hang Seng Bank, Citibank Hong Kong, Bank of China (BOC) Hong Kong , MasterCard, American Express, Visa, Diners Club, JCB, EPS.
About Market Research Reports, Inc.
Market Research Reports, Inc. is the world's leading source for market research reports and market data. We provide you with the latest market research reports on global markets, key industries, leading companies, new products and latest industry analysis & trends.
Follow us on YouTube : http://www.youtube.com/user/MarketResearchReport