Paramus, NJ -- (SBWIRE) -- 04/07/2015 -- Every April, businesses, individuals and organizations around the world recognize Autism Awareness Month with unique fundraising and awareness-raising events to show support for the autism community. This year, four programs from Northern New Jersey will once again join forces and combine their fundraising efforts to produce the Sixth Annual Go the Distance for Autism Ride – the largest charity cycling event in Northern New Jersey - on Sunday, May 31, 2015 at Bergen Community College in Paramus, NJ.
"Through Go the Distance for Autism we work together to raise awareness for autism, highlight needs for programs and services and honor the individuals and families who live with autism every day," says Dr. Bridget A. Taylor, Co-Founder and Executive Director of Alpine Learning Group. "Fundraising from this event creates a brighter future for the individuals in our programs and the rapidly-growing adult autism community in Northern New Jersey.
As part of this year's efforts, Go the Distance is pleased to announce the following events:
- April 12, 2015 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Go the Distance for Autism will attend Autism Awareness Day at the Bergen County Zoo. Raffle items, giveaways and great resources for the community.
- April 14, 2015 – 9 a.m. – 11:30 p.m. Friends and Family Day at Alpine Learning Group. Friends and family of Alpine Learning Group staff enjoy a tour of the building and a firsthand glimpse into a typical day
- April 16, 2015 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. Visitor's Day at the EPIC School. Visitors are invited to visit the program, tour the school and meet staff and administrators. Visit EPIC School to register.
- April 16, 2015 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. Open House at Garden Academy. Visitors are invited attend an information session, tour the school and meet the students and staff. Visit Garden Academy to register.
- April 21, 2015 8:30 a.m. – 3 p.m. students interested in learning more about a career in autism education are invited to Alpine Learning Group for a Field Experience Day. Space is limited and participants must register in advance by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
- April 22, 2015 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. REED Academy hosts Visitors Day – an opportunity to visit the school campus, receive an overview of the program and tour the school.
- April 24, 2015 Improving Observational Learning Skills in Children with Autism, an invited talk by Dr. Bridget Taylor for the 8th Annual Conference on Autism Related Disorders, California
- April 28, 2015 9:15 a.m. – 3:15 p.m. students are invited to REED Academy for Observation and Field Experience Days. Space is limited and participants must register in advance by contacting email@example.com
- April 30, 2015 12:00 p.m. -1:00 p.m. Community Workshop ABANOW: Intro to Applied Behavior Analysis hosted at Garden Academy. Community members interested in learning more about ABA in the 21st century and invited the first talk of the ABANOW series, lead by Dr. David Sidener. Visit Garden Academy to register.
- All Month – Alpine Learning Group challenges the community to "Share Your Voice for Autism". Record yourself singing a verse from your favorite song, post on social media, tag #shareforautism and nominate your friends to do the same. Bring awareness of the need for autism resources and funding through this interactive challenge.
Go the Distance for Autism is a collaborative effort by four northern New Jersey programs for learners with autism – Alpine Learning Group in Paramus, The EPIC School in Paramus, Garden Academy in West Orange and REED Academy in Oakland - and will be held on Sunday, May 31 at the Bergen Community College in Paramus, NJ. To-date, the 2015 event has raised over $250,000 through corporate sponsorships and donations. This year's Top Gear sponsors include Callahan and Fusco,LLC, Ellkay, Ramsey Auto Group and TD Bank North, joined by Cycle Master Sponsors Cullari Carrico LLC, Columbia Bank, GNYHA Ventures, Progenity, EBC Mission & Benevolence Fund, Parts Authority, Reso Foundation, and Rose and Edward Dreyer Philanthropic Foundation .
For more information about the event, visit Go the Distance for Autism and register today to ride, donate or volunteer.
About the Program Beneficiaries
Alpine Learning Group, The EPIC School, Garden Academy and REED Academy are non-profit organizations located in northern NJ that provide one to one educational and behavioral services to children and adults with autism. Autism is a neurobiologically-based developmental disability that emerges during a child's first three years of life. Individuals with autism display marked impairments in communication and social skills as well as a restricted range of interests and behavior.
For more information, please visit http://www.alpinelearninggroup.org - http://www.epicschool.org - http://www.gardenacademy.org and http://www.reedacademy.org