10 Ways to Protect Snow Shovelers from Back Injuries
Kayal Pain & Spine Center Offers Safety Tips
Franklin Lakes, NJ -- (SBWire) -- 12/05/2019 --FRANKLIN LAKES, NJ—It's estimated that 11,000 people are hurt every year shoveling snow, including thousands who suffer from back injuries. To help keep people safe, the team at Kayal Pain & Spine Center is offering 10 tips that can help prevent back injuries while shoveling.
Kayal Pain & Spine Center and its staff of spine specialists in Westwood and nearby offer exceptional care for back injuries—no matter what the cause. This team has the training and expertise to quickly diagnose, treat and relieve back pain.
Here are 10 things to consider before heading outside to shovel:
1. Use the right shovel. The length of the shovel is right if the person shoveling can bend the knees slightly, flex the back about 10 degrees and hold the shovel easily from the start of each movement. The handle should be curved to help keep the back straighter. A plastic blade is much lighter than metal, reducing back strain. A smaller blade helps limit the amount of snow in each scoop to manageable amounts.
2. Warm up before shoveling. Cold, tight muscles are more easily injured.
3. Keep hands at least 12 inches apart. This will improve leverage and minimize strain on the body.
4. Push instead of lifting. Pushing snow reduces the impact on the spine.
5. Use the proper lifting technique. Squat with legs apart, knees bent and back straight. Don't bend at the waist. Use the legs to lift. Shovel small amounts, especially when snow is deep. Don't twist the body. Move the feet instead.
6. Be particularly careful with wet snow. Wet snow is heavier. Make sure to further limit the amount in each shovelful.
7. Never toss snow over the shoulder.
8. Take frequent breaks. Take time to regroup and stretch.
9. Consider a snow blower. If the budget allows, a snow blower causes less strain on the spine.
10. Never shovel through pain. Shoveling snow with pain can result in more serious injuries.
For those who need a spine doctor in Westwood or nearby, Kayal Pain & Spine Center offers same-day appointments and outstanding care. Schedule an appointment by calling 844.281.1783 or contact the team by filling out this form.
About Kayal Pain & Spine Center
Kayal Pain & Spine Center is dedicated exclusively to pain management and spinal treatments. Its experienced, board-certified team has expertise in the diagnosis, treatment and pain management of herniated discs, sciatica, spinal stenosis and the full spectrum of chronic conditions. Based in Bergen County, NJ, the practice specializes in minimally invasive surgery, injury prevention, innovative therapies and pain management. Its eight convenient offices are in Franklin Lakes, Glen Rock, Westwood, Paramus, Paterson, Garfield and North Bergen, NJ, and Stony Point, NY.
Media Relations Contact
View this press release online at: http://rwire.com/1267190