Recent Study: Belarus Telecommunications Report 2013
New Fixed Networks market report from Business Monitor International: "Belarus Telecommunications Report 2013"
Boston, MA -- (SBWire) -- 03/06/2013 --BMI View: The Belarusian telecoms sector remains underdeveloped compared to the majority of markets in Central and Eastern Europe. Furthermore, development remains hamstrung by the extent of state ownership of key players in the market, including wireline incumbent Beltelecom and mobile market leader MTS Belarus. The state's control of backbone infrastructure has also stymied development of the value added services sector. However, there are signs of liberalisation, such as the ongoing effort to divest the government stake in MTS, as well as infrastructure investment by the incumbent - including the expansion of international gateways and the roll-out of FTTH networks. If momentum towards liberalisation accelerates, the Belarusian market holds among the greatest potential in the region considering the strong consumer outlook over the medium term.
- Mobile subscriptions contracted y-o-y to Q312, with a net loss of 420,000 subscriptions, as the penetration rate declined to 114.3%. This was the result of extensive subscription discounting by Turkcell owned BeST and was the first y-o-y decline to have occurred in the mobile market.
- Fixed-line subscriptions declined for the first time in 2011, after a decade of growth as Beltelecom expanded its network. Subscriptions declined by 1% in 2011 as a consequence of market saturation, but also the economic crisis.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Key Trends And Developments
As already noted above, ownership issues remain central in Belarus. The government has persisted with attempts to sell its 51% stake in MTS Belarus. However it is unwilling to compromise on the US$1bn asking price - a fact that has deterred investors since 2011. However, in October 2012 it was announced the government would make another presentation to potential buyers in early November 2012. In late November 2012 it was reported that the majority of investors had baulked at the US$1bn asking price, including MTS (which did not attend the presentation). However, local Kazakh investors retained interest.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Fixed Networks research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Central America Telecommunications Report Q1 2013
- Bahrain Telecommunications Report Q1 2013
- Hong Kong Telecommunications Report Q1 2013
- Bangladesh Telecommunications Report Q1 2013
- Philippines Telecommunications Report Q1 2013
- Colombia Telecommunications Report Q1 2013
- Switzerland Telecommunications Report Q1 2013
- Lithuania Telecommunications Report 2013
- Iran Telecommunications Report Q1 2013
- Greece Telecommunications Report Q1 2013
Media Relations Contact
Director of Marketing
View this press release online at: http://rwire.com/215443