Fast Market Research recommends "Sweden Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014" from Business Monitor International, now available
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 12/25/2013 -- In addition to a decline in the overall value of the Swedish pharmaceutical market in the coming five years, we envisage the same trend in the number of clinical trials conducted in a country known for its research capabilities. As the costs of pharmaceutical studies continues to rise, Sweden will struggle to attract investment in this area, with negative ramifications for the industry as a whole as well as for the wider economy, especially given the downward pressure on pharmaceutical prices. Nevertheless, we expect to see further positive developments in the research and development (R&D) field, as the country offers clear advantages in this arena.
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Pharmaceuticals: SEK36.14bn (US$5.34bn) in 2012 to SEK35.27bn (US$5.58bn) in 2013; -2.4% in local currency terms and +4.6% in US dollar terms. Forecasts virtually unchanged in relation to the previous quarter's projections.
- Healthcare: SEK332.25bn (US$49.07bn) in 2012 to SEK341.19bn (US$54.02bn) in 2013; +2.7% in local currency terms and +10.1% in US dollar terms. Forecasts broadly unchanged in relation to the previous quarter's projections.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Risk/Reward Rating: Sweden remains viewed as a moderately attractive regional market. On the positive side, factors such as the country's high per capita incomes and strong regulatory foundations will continue to promote per capita spending on pharmaceuticals and healthcare in general. However, the downward pressure on pharmaceutical prices will continue to be acutely felt in this small market, of less than 10mn people.
Key Trends And Developments
- In September 2013, Swedish Medivir entered a licence and distribution agreement with Spanish Ferrer for the commercialisation of US Alexza Pharmaceuticals' Adasuve (Staccato loxapine) in the Nordic region. In Europe, Adasuve is approved for the treatment of mild-to-moderate agitation of patients with schizophrenia or bipolar disease. The treatment combines the proprietary Staccato inhaler system with loxapine, an antipsychotic drug. Ferrer is Alexza's commercial partner for Adasuve in Europe, Latin America, Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States countries (CIS).
- A new inquiry by Swedish special investigator Sofia Wallstrom, published in September 2013, has proposed rules for setting the prices and supply of pharmaceuticals in Sweden. The inquiry covers three areas: a new pricing model for original pharmaceuticals without generic competition; the availability of pharmaceuticals in pharmacies; and the substitution of pharmaceuticals in pharmacies, which we see as a further threat to pharmaceutical prices. The proposal emphasises the need to develop the link between price and volume, and also recommends that international reference pricing should be implemented after five years, subject to further expansion after 10 years.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Healthcare research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Bulgaria Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Nigeria Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Romania Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Oman Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Uzbekistan Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Slovenia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Croatia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Latvia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Netherlands Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Taiwan Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014