Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 07/06/2012 -- This report discusses technologies and strategies that enable the discovery of drugs targeting protein-protein interactions (PPIs), covering both small-molecule and synthetic peptidic modulators. The report provides case studies of specific target classes and draws lessons from both the successes achieved and the remaining challenges.
- Understand why the discovery of PPI modulators has been difficult, and why it is crucial for pharmaceutical companies to overcome these hurdles now.
- Gain insight into the most effective strategies and technologies for discovering PPI modulators.
- Identify companies and academic laboratories that are leaders in the PPI modulator field.
- Identify and evaluate ongoing programs seeking to discover and develop drugs tageting PPIs.
- Understand the limitations of challenges remaining in the field, and thereby identify opportunities for future progress.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Despite the difficulty of the PPI modulator field, one direct PPI agonist -eltrombopag (Ligand/GSK's Promacta/Revolade) - and two allosteric PPI antagonists - maraviroc (Pfizer's Selzentry/Celsentri) and plerixafor (Genzyme's Mozobil) - have reached the market. Several other compounds are in the clinic.
The discovery of currently marketed and clinical-stage compounds was made possible by a set of tools including X-ray diffraction, alanine scanning mutagenesis, fragment-based drug discovery, and conventional medicinal chemistry. Central to this research has been the determination of "hot spots" in protein-protein interfaces
Recently, companies such as Forma, Ensemble, and Aileron, as well as academic laboratories, have been developing second-generation technologies for the discovery of PPI modulators. These technologies are designed to provide a more accelerated and systematic approach to PPI drug discovery and development
Reasons to Get this Report
- Why has the discovery and development of PPI modulator drugs been found so difficult historically?
- What is to be gained by investing in the discovery of drugs acting at such challenging targets?
- Who have been in the pioneers in the PPI field, and what strategies have they employed to turn PPIs into viable targets?
- Which companies have developed clinical-stage and marketed drugs that modulate protein-protein interactions?
- What second-generation technologies are being developed to accelerate progress in the PPI drug field and where is the field heading?
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Biotechnology research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Biomarkers in Drug Discovery - Earlier Usage of Biomarkers in Optimization Stage to Reduce Drug Attrition Rate Significantly
- Stem Cell Research Market to 2017 - Strong Pipeline, High Unmet Needs in Chronic Diseases and Favorable Government Policies to Boost Stem Cell R&D
- Advances in Alzheimer's Disease Drug Discovery
- Discovery Laboratories, Inc. (DSCO) - Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare - Deals and Alliances Profile
- Early Stage Drug Discovery in Disease Segments - Innovation Focuses on Stem Cell Therapies and Gene Therapies
- GPCRs in Drug Discovery - Efforts to De-Orphanize Novel GPCR Targets are Increasing
- Lead Generation Strategies and Technologies in Drug Development - Emerging Techniques Such as Antisense Technology Will Allow Innovators to Minimize Costs
- Biomarkers Market (Discovery Technologies, Applications & Indications) - Global Trends, Opportunities & Forecasts (2011 - 2020)
- Eni S.p.A. (ENI) - Oil & Gas - Deals and Alliances Profile
- Statoil ASA (STL) - Oil & Gas - Deals and Alliances Profile