NSW, Australia -- (SBWIRE) -- 03/28/2014 -- Combining a love of travel and a passion for the voice over industry, Dave Kirwan has visited a record 40 cities in 12 months, all while continuing to record voice overs from his portable studio. Along the way breaking a record for the most amount of cities that one professional voice actor has recorded from in one year.
The former Weather Channel anchor and Today Show snow reporter now focuses on his voice over career which started in Sydney Australia. Kirwan now resides in New York City which is the perfect base for traveling the globe.
As a top Australian voice over artist, some of Kirwan’s previous clients over the years include Nickelodeon, MTV, McDonalds, Garnier, Telstra and thousands more radio and televisions commercials. He is also the current voice for Spotify Australia, informing listeners of the benefits of upgrading to the premium service between songs.
Some of the cities Kirwan traveled to and set up his portable studio setup in hotel rooms include Paris, Honolulu, Istanbul, London, Dublin, Athens, Madrid, Frankfurt, and Cabo, Mexico
Kirwan said the travel has not been a problem for anyone. “Clients appreciate that they can have access to a voice every single day no matter where in the world I am. Previously you risk losing a client if they cannot get a hold of you.” He said from Athens, Greece.
Providing quality sound for clients is a must. His studio consists of a microphone and laptop and achieves the same sound as that of a studio in any major city. “I’ve never had one complaint about the audio. The microphone is one of the best in the industry, and hotel rooms are almost like a studio in regards to lots of padding with carpet and curtains.”
Spending nearly every single week of the year traveling, Kirwan has picked up some tips along the way for living on the road and saving money, without comprising anything.
- Travel lightly. People can always buy something at a destination if they really can’t live without it.
- The accent works wonders when checking in for room upgrades. Be friendly, thankful and subtle.
- Don’t bother asking for upgrades for flights. These days it’s based on ones frequent flyer status with the airline.
- Cheaper 2-3 star hotels usually offer free wifi and free breakfast. Expensive hotels charge extra. Plus star ratings are not based on the rooms or ambience, but rather the facilities. And is one really going to go to the hotel gym when in a new city!
- Venture out beyond the tourist areas. Things are cheaper and one will get more of the local cultural experience.
- Withdraw local currency from ATMS in large amounts like $500, then keep in the hotel safe. Less hassle and usually a better exchange rate.
- Join airline and hotel loyalty programs. I fly business class nearly everywhere and only pay for a coach/economy ticket thanks to free upgrades.
The Australian male voice over talent has recorded for almost every single audio application including phone greetings, explainer videos, children’s toys, audio books, video games and podcasts.
His travel continues into 2014 with trips planned to Peru, Milan and back to two of his favorite destinations Paris and Orlando, Florida.
Kirwan’s website features demos of his work: http://www.malevoiceoverartist.com.au
ABOUT Dave Kirwan
Dave Kirwan is one of Australia’s top professional voice talent. His voice has appeared on radio and television for over 15 years. His credits include continuity voice for MTV, Nickelodeon, The EDGE 96.1, Spotify and promos for HBO USA. Radio DJ credits include 92. K-ROCK NYC, SEA FM Central Coast and SNOW FM, Cooma.