Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 07/28/2014 -- We expect strong food consumption growth in Belarus (in roubles) to continue over our forecast period to 2018. However, this expansion will not be driven by increased economic activity, with real GDP growth (in US dollar terms) forecast to contract by 0.1% in 2014 and 0.7% in 2015. We consider Belarus a risky market due to its political isolation from much of Europe and high level of government intervention in economic matters. High levels of inflation are a further concern, particularly for consumer goods sectors.
Headline Industry Data
- Food consumption value (local currency) growth (y-o-y) in 2014: +18.2%; compound annual growth rate (CAGR) to 2018: +14.3%
- Per capita food consumption value (local currency) growth (y-o-y) in 2014: +18.8%; CAGR to 2018: +14.8%
- Alcoholic drinks value (local currency) sales growth (y-o-y) in 2014: +24.3%; CAGR to 2018: +15.6%
- Alcoholic drinks volume sales (litre) growth (y-o-y) in 2014: +4.8%; CAGR to 2018: +3.2%
- Soft drinks value (local currency) sales growth (y-o-y) in 2014: +21.2%; CAGR to 2018: +16.7%
- Soft drinks volume sales (litres) growth (y-o-y) in 2014: +3.5%; CAGR to 2018: +4.0%
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Key Company Trends
- In August 2013, Belarus imposed temporary restrictions on all dairy products produced by Fonterra in the wake of the firm's botulism scare. The move came after Fonterra announced that a protein concentrate produced for infant formula and animal feed might be infected with the Colstridium botulinum bacteria. Fonterra exports USD133mn of dairy goods to Belarus, Russia and Kazakhstan.
- In February 2013, Belarus' President Alexander Lukashenko was reported by BelTA to be calling for Belcoopsoyuz, the Union of Consumer Cooperatives, to become more competitive. He was reportedly supportive of the union but urged more assertiveness and aggressiveness in terms of market penetration and product placement, including lowering prices to stave off competition from private enterprises. However, privatisation...
The Belarus Food & Drink Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s market assessment and independent forecasts for food and drink expenditure, consumption, sales, and imports/exports and forecasts for the mass grocery retail sector. The report also includes analyses of major regulatory developments, the background macroeconomic outlook and competitive landscape comparing national and multinational companies by leading products and services, sales, investments, partners and expansion strategies.
BMI's Belarus Food & Drink Report provides industry professionals and strategists, sector analysts, business investors, trade associations and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the food and drink industry and the mass grocery retail market in Belarus.
- Benchmark BMI's independent food and drink industry forecasts for Belarus to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Belarusian food and drink market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Belarus through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments.
- Exploit latest competitive intelligence on your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and Competitive Landscape Tables.
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts, and views, covering food and drink manufacturing and consumption and the retail market.
Business Environment Rankings
BMI's Food & Drink Business Environment Rankings provide a country-comparative Risk-Reward Rankings index aimed at investors, food and drink manufacturers and mass grocery retailers.
The rankings methodology makes sophisticated use of over 40 industry, economic and demographic data points.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the food, drink and mass grocery retail sectors, and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
BMI's food chapter is divided into sections such as Meat, Fish, Confectionary, Dairy and Canned Foods, and provides insight into a market's food industry, centred on a forecast to end-2018 for the sector. The chapter includes the following elements:
Industry Forecast Scenario - Historical data series and forecasts to end-2018 for growth of key indicators within a market's food industry. Including consumption, food consumption as % of GDP, canned food sales, confectionery sales and food and drink imports and exports, among others.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Food research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Mexico Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- Kuwait Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- Central America Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- Ukraine Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- Netherlands Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- Slovenia Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- Bahrain Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- Vietnam Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- Chile Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- Qatar Food & Drink Report Q3 2014