Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 07/03/2012 -- BMI View: According to the Canadian Institute for Health Information, the growth of spending on prescription drugs in Canada slowed to its lowest level since 1996 in 2011, when it came in at just 4% year-on-year (y-o-y). This slowdown was attributed to the expiration of certain blockbuster drugs' patents, which will continue to place downward pressure on the growth of the overall pharmaceutical market in the country. Nevertheless, epidemiological demands of an ageing population will serve to counterbalance some of those pressures to a degree, even though we continue to expect that the generic drug market will significantly outperform its patented counterpart. In the meantime, market access for innovative products remains hampered by differential reimbursement policies across Canada's provinces and also by the lacking patent protection environment.
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Pharmaceuticals: CAD26.28bn (US$26.57bn) in 2011 to CAD26.46bn (US$25.69bn) in 2012; +0.7% growth in local currency terms and -3.3% growth in US dollar terms. Forecast down slightly from Q212 on account of macroeconomic factors.
- Healthcare: CAD181.47bn (US$183.47bn) in 2011 to CAD188.19bn (US$182.71bn) in 2012; +3.7% growth in local currency terms and -0.4% growth in US dollar terms. Forecast down slightly from Q212 on account of macroeconomic factors.
- Medical Devices: CAD6.52bn (US$6.59bn) in 2011 to CAD6.78bn (US$6.58bn) in 2012; +3.9% growth in local currency terms and -0.2% growth in US dollar terms. Forecast down slightly from Q212 on account of macroeconomic factors.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Risk Reward: In BMI's Risk/Reward Ratings for Q312, Canada is again placed second in our regional matrix, which ranks 17 key markets. Canada's composite score is some 3% lower than previously, which had itself been lowered at the end of 2011, on account of the previous revisions of its pharmaceutical market growth downward.
Key Trends & Developments
- In March 2012, Canadian firm Valeant announced that it will acquire certain assets from Gerot Lannach, a branded generic pharmaceutical company based in Austria. The acquisition is designed to increase the firm's exposure to Eastern Europe, with approximately 90% of sales relating to these assets in Russia, along with a strong presence in certain other Commonwealth of Independent State (CIS) countries.
- Significant numbers of people in Canada are consulting pharmacists about healthcare issues, according to a survey by Nielsen and the Canadian Association of Chain Drug Stores. The survey, published in March 2012, found 72% of the 5,878 respondents have consulted a pharmacist regarding health issues aside from their prescribed medication. According to the survey, 96% of people want their pharmacist to be more responsible and work more closely with their doctor to enhance healthcare.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Healthcare research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Egypt Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2012
- Taiwan Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2012
- Romania Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2012
- Cipher Pharmaceuticals Inc. (DND) - Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare - Deals and Alliances Profile
- Turkey Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2012
- Zimbabwe Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2012
- Oman Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2012
- Nigeria Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2012
- Peru Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2012
- Portugal Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2012