Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 04/15/2014 -- Strong sales growth reported by multinational pharmaceutical firms in China over the course of 2013 is directly in line with our longterm optimism towards the country's pharmaceutical and healthcare market. We continue to maintain this view, in light of supportive government policies and positive population dynamics.
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Pharmaceuticals: CNY532.4bn (US$86.6bn) in 2013 to CNY610.8bn (US$99.7bn) in 2014; +14.7% in local currency and +15.1% in US dollar terms.
- Healthcare: CNY3,172.4bn (US$516.0bn) in 2013 to CNY3,601.5bn (US$587.8bn) in 2014; +13.5% in local currency terms and +13.9% in US dollar terms.
Risk/Reward Rating: China's Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Rating (RRR) score for Q214 is 64.8 out of the maximum 100 under our newly improved RRR system. The country scored above average for the majority of the indicators and sub-indicators including overall market expenditure, sector value growth, patent respect and policy continuity. China is ranked fifth, behind Japan, South Korea Australia and Taiwan among the 19 key markets in Asia Pacific.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Key Trends And Developments
- In February 2014, Sagent Pharmaceuticals launched its National Research Centre (NRC) in Bio- Technology Park in Chengdu, China. The NRC will focus on process and method development of technically challenging specialty injectable pharmaceuticals, according to CEO Jeffrey M Yordon. The centre is equipped with state-of-the-art equipment and staffed with a team of global experts in specialty injectable development. The centre will initially focus on developing liquid and lypholisation products for Sagent China Pharmaceuticals (SCP), Sagent's Food and Drug Administration-inspected manufacturing facility.
- In January 2013, Actavis, the second-biggest global generic drugmaker by market capitalisation, announced that it will end its presence in China due to difficult business climate. The firm divested Actavis (Foshan) to Zhejiang Chiral Medicine Chemicals and intends to continue further commercial operations in China by collaborating with its preferred business partners.
- In December 2013, Japan-based Chugai signed an agreement with China Taizhou Medical High-Tech Industrial Development Zone, or China Medical City (CMC). Under this, Chugai will establish a wholly owned import, sales and marketing subsidiary in the country. Previously Chugai exported its products to wholesalers and other pharmaceutical firms in China. With the establishment of the subsidiary (scheduled in March 2014), the firm expects increased flexibility in its business activities, as it will directly distribute its products.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Healthcare research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Sweden Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014
- Kenya Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014
- Croatia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014
- Bangladesh Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014
- Mexico Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014
- Bulgaria Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014
- Thailand Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014
- Kazakhstan Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014
- Lebanon Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014
- Japan Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014