Save Summer Cash for Fun, Not AC Bills
Cedar Park, TX -- (SBWIRE) -- 04/12/2019 -- As Texas families prep for kids and houseguests to invade for the summer, it's easy for rising grocery, entertainment and utility expenses to put a damper on the fun. Austin-Round Rock's already scorching temperatures are about to climb another 10 to 20 degrees, but families can defray AC costs with simple tips from the Cool Experts team.
Tips for Lowering Summertime AC Bills
Residents of the Lone Star State are no strangers to skyrocketing utility bills. This time of year, Cool Experts recommends these practical steps for saving energy, staying cool and diverting summer funds to vacations, staycations and family activities.
1. Take full advantage of ceiling fans. No matter how hot it is, a gentle breeze can make all the difference. Ceiling fans use a small portion of the energy required by a home HVAC system, and they drastically improve comfort when used in conjunction with your home's AC. Pair ceiling fans with window, box and pedestal fans to keep often-occupied rooms more comfortable—even at higher thermostat settings. The adage, "Fans cool people, not rooms," is true, though. Residents save more energy by switching off fans when they leave a room.
2. Invest in a smart thermostat. Today's smart thermostats make it easy to cool houses before people get home from work and save money while family members are sleeping or away on vacation. Cool Experts installs Nest, Honeywell and other leading thermostats that offer seven-day programming, energy use reporting and remote temperature adjustment by app.
3. Install insulated cellular shades. Builders typically install inexpensive blinds that do little to keep Texas homes cool during summer. According to the Department of Energy, tightly installed, insulated window coverings can lower solar gain to 15 percent or less. Available online and at home improvement stores across the area, these window coverings are priced to suit a range of budgets. Keeping solar heat out can have a surprising impact on summer utility costs.
4. Use refrigerated spray bottles to keep people and pets cool. Homeowners shouldn't make sweeping thermostat adjustments every time kids and pets come in from outdoor play. Constant temperature changes make AC systems work harder. Instead, it's best to set the thermostat at a steady 74 to 76 degrees and offer children a refrigerated spritz bottle filled with water. Spray bottles put kids in control of their comfort and speed up cooling in rooms where fans are in use.
5. Take a caffeine break. Caffeine is a diuretic that makes it tough to maintain healthy hydration levels. Summer is a good time to try a coffee hiatus and replace caffeinated beverages with a rotation of herbal iced tea, lemon water and sparkling water. A standard guideline for water intake is half of a person's body weight in daily water ounces, but residents may need more when the Central Texas heat does its worst.
Prioritize AC Maintenance & Cleaning
Cool Experts reminds customers that the No. 1 way to lower summer energy bills is by prioritizing HVAC tune-ups. Texas AC systems rarely get a break and summer is particularly rough on them. Scheduled care prolongs equipment lifespan, lowers energy use and helps air conditioners keep up with brutal Austin days. Cool Experts top-of-the-line Comfort Club maintenance memberships also come with free breakdown emergency service for ultimate peace of mind.
Committed to helping customers enjoy their summer savings without spending it all on AC, Cool Experts technicians are proud to offer high-caliber service for air conditioners, ductless systems and heat pumps.
About Cool Experts
Cool Experts is Greater Austin's first choice for fast, dependable home comfort and indoor air quality services. When your AC system is failing or it is time for new equipment, our HVAC innovators show up on time, communicate clearly and provide upfront pricing free of fine print. Trust Cool Experts to provide Cedar Park's best cooling repair, service and installation while treating your home and family with the utmost care. Integrity, skill and follow-through are the pillars of our business and we guarantee our work—100 percent. Call now: 512.790.5715.