Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 01/07/2014 -- Since the 2011 Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster and the 2012 presidential elections, French dependence on nuclear energy has been under the spotlight and has been set to be diluted in favour of renewables. President Hollande has restated a goal of reducing nuclear generation from 75% to 50% of the electricity mix. This also leaves the door open for gas to play a larger role. However, given the influence of the nuclear lobby in France, Hollande's cabinet is likely to struggle to achieve these targets. Overall, the future of energy growth is uncertain and the outlook for refiners and fuel distributors remains poor.
The main trends and developments in the French oil and gas sector are:
- President Hollande in July 2013 reiterated France's moratorium on hydraulic fracturing (fracking), which effectively bans exploration for shale oil and gas and dashed industry hopes that he might soften his stance. This was in line with previous declarations and he has insisted on the fact that this would be his policy throughout his term in office. Another key aspect of Hollande's energy policy is his ambitions of reducing nuclear generation from 75% to 50% of the electricity mix, although his cabinet might struggle to achieve this target given the weight of France's nuclear lobby.
- After a disappointing 2012-2013 drilling programme in French Guiana, Tullow and its partners have no planned drilling for 2014. Instead they plan to interpret 3D data in addition to exploration results in the hopes of identifying new targets. Tullow has said it would shift its focus from French Guiana to Suriname, with exploration director Angus McCross noting that the company's mid-term focus would be Suriname 'but we are not giving up on French Guiana... the prospectivity there is too rich, too strong, so we will be back.'
- On April 16 2013, the tribunal of Rouen rejected the offers made by Panama's NetOil and Libya's Murzuq Oil for the 161,800 barrels-a-day (b/d) Petit-Couronne refinery which used to be owned by now insolvent Petroplus. These were the only remaining offers. Although Murzaq Oil has said that it remains interested in the plant, alongside two other potential bidders - Luxembourg's GTSA and another unknown bidder - the plant's liquidator, Beatrice Pascual, affirmed that these were 'groundless letters of intent'. With no positive denouement in sight, a social plan is currently being implemented for the plant's 448 employees and we see it likely that the facility will be converted into an oil storage terminal.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Energy research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- Insignia Energy Ltd. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- Second Wave Petroleum Inc. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- Plains Exploration & Production Company Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- Helix Energy Solutions Group, Inc. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- McMoRan Exploration Co. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- Greenfields Petroleum Corporation Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- United Kingdom Oil & Gas Report Q1 2014
- Royal Dutch Shell Plc, Company Intelligence Report
- Indonesia Oil & Gas Report Q1 2014