New Fixed Networks market report from Business Monitor International: "Greece Telecommunications Report Q4 2013"
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 09/30/2013 -- Greece's telecoms market remains under pressure on numerous fronts, with consumer spending being reined-in as a result of the government's latest austerity measures. Were the market less reliant on prepaid services, this would seep through to the telecoms sector only gradually. However, this is not the case and we have already seen mobile ARPUs contract sharply in H212 and Q113. Meanwhile demand for broadband connections appears undimmed and around half of new handsets sold in Q412 were, reportedly, smartphones. It would seem that mobile and broadband services are more of a necessity for cash-strapped Greeks than might have been expected.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
- The mobile market continued its rebound from large subscription losses in 2010, with y-o-y growth of 0.6% to 15.303mn subscriptions at the end of March 2013.
- However ARPU rates have dropped sharply y-o-y to Q113 - with both Vodafone and Cosmote reporting y-o-y declines of over 20%. Further mobile termination rate (MTR) reductions took effect, adding to the downward pressure on ARPU from price competition and economic conditions.
Key Trends & Developments
Incumbent operator Hellenic Telecommunications Organization (OTE) expanded VDSL 50Mbps speeds after the deployment of 1,100 new cabinets in about 180 centres across Greece and around 600 outdoor sites in Attica. As part of OTE's upgrade initiative, 170,000 subscribers will be able to access 50Mbps speeds. Alternative operators are also rolling out very high-speed broadband services based on incumbent OTE's VDSL network. Higher-speed services and the proliferation of bundled services and converged products should help the broadband market to continue growing despite the chilly economic conditions. Whether the operators can turn a profit from these activities still remains to be seen. Meanwhile, tentative plans for the construction of a fibre to the x network remain on hold.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Fixed Networks research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Sri Lanka Telecommunications Report Q4 2013
- Hungary Telecommunications Report Q4 2013
- Bulgaria Telecommunications Report Q4 2013
- Bosnia-Herzegovina Telecommunications Report Q4 2013
- Belgium Telecommunications Report Q4 2013
- Chile Telecommunications Report Q4 2013
- Czech Republic Telecommunications Report Q4 2013
- Norway Telecommunications Report Q4 2013
- China Telecommunications Report Q4 2013
- Indonesia Telecommunications Report Q4 2013
Copyright © 2005-2013 - SBWire, The Small Business Newswire - All Rights Reserved - Important Disclaimer
Contact Us: 888-4-SBWIRE (US) - 920-593-5640 (International)