Fast Market Research recommends "Hong Kong Shipping Report Q4 2014" from Business Monitor International, now available
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 10/29/2014 -- The port of Hong Kong holds the top position in Hong Kong's maritime sector in terms of both total tonnage and container throughput. According to BMI's forecasts, the port will demonstrate growth in 2014 after its 2013 performance was hindered by a forty day strike, recession in the eurozone, the sluggish nature of US economic growth, the slowing outlook for the Chinese economy, the move of Chinese factories further inland and competition from the neighbouring port of Shenzhen.
Over the rest of the medium term, BMI projects further growth at the port of Hong Kong. Although up until 2012 it was managing to weather the competition from the development of Shenzhen as China's second largest container port and despite the close proximity of the two facilities was managing to retain its lead, Hong Kong is now lost it to Shenzhen, which, BMI believes, also had its container throughput bolstered as a result of the Hong Kong 2013 strike, as some shippers re-routed there to avoid the industrial action.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
We, however, also highlight that the port of Hong Kong has long-term expansion plans in place to ensure it remains among the world's top ports.
Headline Industry Data
- 2014 port of Hong Kong tonnage throughput forecast to grow 5%, over the medium term, we project a 16% increase.
- 2014 port of Hong Kong container throughput forecast to grow 3%, over the medium term, we project an 11% increase.
- 2014 total trade growth forecast at 3.85%.
Key Industry Trends
Modern Terminals Handle 100 m illionth TEU: Hong Kong-based Modern Terminals Limited (MTL) has handled its 100 millionnth twenty-foot equivalent unit (TEU) 42 years after it opened the country's first purpose-built container-handling facility.
AADA Hike Freight Rates: Member lines of Asia Australia Discussion Agreement (AADA) intend to impose a hike on the cargo freight rate from mainland China and Hong Kong to all points in Australia. The hike in the freight rate of USD300 a TEU and USD600 a forty-foot...
The Hong Kong Shipping Report has been researched at source and features latest-available data and Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent forecasting, critically analysing international transport of dry bulk and containers. The report evaluates the global commodities and trade backdrop, alongside in-depth country-specific analysis of trade prospects. The report also contains company profiles covering leading multinational and national shipping companies and analysis of latest industry news, trends and regulatory developments in Hong Kong.
BMI's Hong Kong Shipping Report provides industry professionals and strategists, sector analysts, business investors, trade associations and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the shipping industry in Hong Kong.
- Benchmark BMI's independent shipping industry forecasts for Hong Kong to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Hong Kong shipping market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Hong Kong through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments.
- Exploit the latest competitive intelligence and company SWOTS on your competitors and peers including multinational and national companies.
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts, views and trend analysis covering shipping, major investments and projects and significant multinational and national company developments.
SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats) analysis of the state's shipping sector, which carefully evaluates the short- and medium-term issues facing the industry.
Analysis of the capacity, terminals and planned development of the major ports in each country, including data on throughput and total tonnage.
Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series (2008-2012) and forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry and macroeconomic indicators (see list below), supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast, including:
Major port freight throughput (tonnes/teu); overall freight throughput (teu); total imports (US$bn) and exports (US$bn).
Company profiles include business activities, leading products and services, company strategy, trends and developments and economic performance analysis.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Transportation research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Hong Kong Shipping Report Q4 2014
- Vietnam Shipping Report Q4 2014
- Australia Shipping Report Q4 2014
- South Korea Shipping Report Q4 2014
- China Shipping Report Q4 2014
- Philippines Shipping Report Q4 2014
- Venezuela Shipping Report Q4 2014
- Brazil Shipping Report Q4 2014
- Iran Shipping Report Q4 2014
- United Arab Emirates Shipping Report Q4 2014