New Fixed Networks market report from Business Monitor International: "Hong Kong Telecommunications Report Q1 2016"
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 03/07/2013 -- BMI View: Hong Kong's telecommunications market, particularly the mobile sector, is one of the most dynamic and mature in the Asia Pacific region. Five mobile operators and 11 mobile virtual network operators ensures strong competition, attractive tariff rates for the territory's consumers, and constant network upgrades and expansions. The introduction of LTE services should provide another round of revenue growth opportunities such as high-definition mobile TV services for operators, although fixed services such as fibre broadband remains key given the territory's position as a vital financial hub.
- Forecast scenarios for Hong Kong's mobile, fixed-line and internet sectors as well as ARPUs have been extended to 2017.
- In spite of high penetration rate, Hong Kong's mobile market is expected to grow by 6% in 2013, although we expect the momentum to taper to 1% in 2017.
- Operators' ARPUs maintained their upward trajectory in light of increasing data adoption, but we expect the growing number of prepaid subscribers to eventually result in a reversal..
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Key Trends & Developments
A review of interconnection charging between fixed-line carriers has been initiated by the Hong Kong's Communications Authority. The regulator is deciding whether to remove or maintain Statement No. 7 (Third Revision). This review process is conducted as fibre or next generation networks are not covered in the regulations. The Statement No.7 has already been revised several times to reflect developing market conditions. However, the role of Statement No. 7 will reduce and will become irrelevant with time as fixed carriers are progressively migrating to NGNs. Guidance on the charging principles for interconnection between the fixed carriers is provided by Statement No. 7.
The Communications Authority will permit China Mobile Hong Kong and SmarTone Mobile Communications to swap a portion of their wireless spectrum in the 1800MHz band. The two operators have submitted a joint request for the swap, as they have both been assigned 2x13.2MHz spectrum in the 1800MHz band. The swap will reduce interference with other networks.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Fixed Networks research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Hong Kong Telecommunications Report Q1 2013
- Italy Telecommunications Report Q1 2016
- Estonia Telecommunications Report Q1 2012
- Cambodia & Laos Telecommunications Report Q1 2013
- Hong Kong Foodservice: The Future of Foodservice in Hong Kong to 2016
- Hong Kong Retail Report Q1 2013
- Hong Kong Oil & Gas Report Q1 2013
- The Future of Retailing in Hong Kong to 2016
- Hong Kong Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2013
- Specialist Retailers in Asia-Pacific: Market Guide to 2016