Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Indonesia Agribusiness Report Q4 2013", is now available at Fast Market Research
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 09/10/2013 -- Overall, we hold an optimistic outlook on Indonesia's agriculture sector and see significant growth opportunities in sub-sectors such as livestock, palm oil and cocoa. However, while we believe that the government's goal to reach self-sufficiency in rice by 2015 is attainable, we are less confident about other commodities such as sugar and corn. We also highlight that the country's aim to become the second largest coffee producer in the world by 2015 is unrealistic. Much of our scepticism is owing to the lack of proper infrastructure and the existence of a large number of low-technology, small-scale farmers. We believe that the shift from raw commodity exports to refined exports (especially for palm oil and cocoa) will warrant more public and private investment in order for the raw inputs industry to keep pace with downstream industries. Investments by Wilmar, Golden Agri Resources and Barry Callebaut are clear signs of the growing interest in these sectors.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
- Rice production growth to 2016/17: 14.6% to 41.6mn tonnes. We believe Indonesia will attain its goal of being self-sufficient in rice in the coming years, as the country is increasing initiatives to boost production. Growing use of high-yielding paddy varieties and agriculture intensification will help output to record higher growth rates than in the past.
- Sugar consumption growth to 2017: 27.9% to 6.5mn tonnes. Consumption growth will continue to outstrip production growth, driven by rising incomes, greater urbanisation, population growth and the growing demand from the food and beverage industry.
- Poultry consumption growth to 2017: 17.6% to 1.8mn tonnes. The increasing ability of Indonesians to afford meat as part of their daily diet will drive poultry consumption, which is the most favoured meat. Low consumption per capita suggests there is much room for growth.
- BMI universe agribusiness market value: US$60.8bn in 2013 (up from US$59.5bn in 2012; forecast to grow annually by 4.0% on average between 2013 and 2017).
- 2013 real GDP growth: 5.9% (down from 6.2% in 2012; forecast to grow by 6.2% on average between 2013 and 2017).
- 2013 consumer price index: 5.4% year-on-year (y-o-y) (up from 4.7% y-o-y in 2012; forecast to grow annually by 5.1% on average between 2013 and 2017).
- 2013 central bank policy rate: 6.50% (up from 5.75% in 2012; forecast to average 6.80% from 2013 to 2017).
Key Revisions To Forecasts
- Cocoa production forecasts for 2012/13 and 2013/14 revised down, to 465,000 tonnes and 480,000 respectively (compared with previous forecasts of 500,000 and 530,000 tonnes respectively). This is mainly because diseases are blighting yield and area expansion. Output growth is being hampered by poor agronomic practices, poor quality planting materials and the abundance of aging, less productive trees that render the sector more prone to severe weather patterns.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Food research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Ghana Agribusiness Report Q4 2013
- Russia Agribusiness Report Q4 2013
- InterOil Exploration & Production ASA Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q4, 2012
- Total S.A. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- Hess Corporation Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- OAO Novatek Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q4, 2012
- Talisman Energy Inc. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- Anadarko Petroleum Corporation Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- WPX Energy, Inc. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- Suncor Energy Inc. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013