New Energy market report from Business Monitor International: "Italy Oil & Gas Report Q1 2014"
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 03/20/2014 -- Although Italy is thought to retain moderate untapped hydrocarbons potential, bureaucratic and regulatory challenges are set to hamper previously outlined goals to reduce the country's hefty import burden. Despite the start of production from the Tempa Rosa field from 2017, we see only limited upside risk to our production forecast from current exploration and production efforts. While we expect increased reliance on liquifned natural gas (LNG) imports as new infrastructure comes online, we are not yet assuming all planned terminals will go ahead, given delays to other plans. We also see risks that Italy's sizable downstream sector will see further downsizing as the sector struggles under the pressure of persistently low margins.
The main trends and developments we highlight in Italy's oil and gas sector are:
- According to the EIA, Italy is estimated to have produced 154,260 barrels per day (b/d) in 2012 see this remaining broadly stable until 2015. BMI forecasts that Italy will see an increase in oil production from 2017 onwards, as the Tempa Rosa field comes online. Production is set to peak at around 210,000 b/d in 2018.
- Italy is seeking to reduce its spending on energy by cutting imports. On October 16 2012 it unveiled a new energy strategy that seeks to reduce imports to 67% of demand by 2020. However, the ability to meet these already ambitious targets is hampered by an absence of policy clarity with successive changes in government. Challenges also stem from a complicated bureaucracy and regulatory environment, with exploration and production efforts frequently delayed.
- Italy is thought to retain moderate untapped oil and gas potential. Activity both onshore and particularly offshore presents some upside risk to our outlook. The Mediterranean is increasingly gaining interest, due to the substantial hydrocarbons potential in the southern Mediterranean near to Cyprus and Israel, but Italy's waters remain prospective and underexplored. However, a cumbersome drilling process with regulatory hurdles has slowed investment. Onshore, a number of smaller prospects are under appraisal but have only a minimal impact on Italy's sizable import burden.
- Italy's oil consumption was 1.31mn b/d in 2012. By 2017 we forecast that oil consumption could fall even further to hit 1.29mn b/d, reaching 1.23mn b/d by 2022. Overall, we expect that by 2022 net imports will amount to 1.02mn b/d.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Energy research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Insignia Energy Ltd. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- Plains Exploration & Production Company Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- Helix Energy Solutions Group, Inc. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- Second Wave Petroleum Inc. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- McMoRan Exploration Co. (Inactive) Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- Diaz Resources Ltd. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- Winstar Resources Ltd. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- Royal Dutch Shell Plc, Company Intelligence Report
- Petroglobe Inc. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- United Kingdom Oil & Gas Report Q1 2014