Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 03/10/2014 -- At the end 2012, Italy was the fourth largest telecom market in Western Europe, with revenue of $44.5bn. We expect Italy's total market revenue to decline, shrinking in US dollar terms at an annual rate of -0.3%, mainly due to the negative performance of the mobile sector. The slow recovery of the Italian economy from the recession will result in sustained price competition among operators, maintaining pressure on profitability levels. The strongest opportunity for growth will come from mobile broadband demand. Further consolidation is expected, presenting opportunities for investors.
Introduction and Landscape
The Italian telecom market generated $44.5bn in service revenue in 2012, 8.5% less than the previous year. Mobile data posted substantial growth despite the overall decline, generating $160m more revenue in 2012 than in 2011. The growth of HSPA and 4G mobile broadband, with the increased uptake of data-centric devices such as tablets and smartphones, are the primary drivers for mobile data revenue growth. In the forecast period, besides mobile data, broadband Internet will be the other major contributor to market growth. Nonetheless, fixed broadband growth in Italy will be lower than in the other major European countries due to delays in the rollout and to lower penetration of fiber-based next generation networks (NGN). Whereas for Italy we forecast fixed broadband revenue to grow at a 1.7% CAGR in 2013-2018, we expect the segment to grow at a 4.4% CAGR in neighboring France and at a 3.3% CAGR in Spain in the same period. The commoditization of fixed voice and fixed-to-mobile substitution has meant that revenue from fixed circuit-switched voice has been in decline since 2006. Revenue from this segment is expected to drop to represent only 13% of total communications revenue in 2018. Over the 2013-2018 forecast period, we expect the overall communications market to remain flat, with revenue still at approximately $43.8bn in 2018."
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Wireless research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Smartphone Strategies: How Devices Can Revitalize the Role of Operators in the Mobile Ecosystem
- Key Issues for the World's Major Telecom Operators in 2Q 2013
- From Digital Content to M-Wallets: M-Payment Strategies for Operators
- Nigeria: As Operators Invest in Networks, New Telecom Regulations Boost Competition
- USA: Operator Need for LTE Spectrum and Scale to Reshape Telecom Market through MandA
- Singapore: As LTE and Fiber Subscriptions Multiply, Telecom Operators Focus on Data Services
- Germany: Telecom Market MandA Activity Heats Up in the Wake of Declining Revenue
- The Netherlands: LTE to Drive New Growth as Telecom Market Consolidation Speeds up
- Next Generation Network OSS/BSS Market and Forecast 2013-2018
- Tunisia: Operators Leverage Fixed and Data Services to Stabilize Total Market Revenue