Melbourne, Australia -- (SBWIRE) -- 06/24/2014 -- The creative team on this project needs funding help to get to the 2014 Sydney Fringe Festival. They are a group of young individuals from Melbourne, all putting their own time and effort into what they think is an important piece of Aussie theatre. They first staged a low-budget version of THE SHEDS last year at the 2013 Melbourne Fringe. After receiving some great feedback, they decided to hit the road in 2014 by taking their little show the Adelaide Fringe in February. With passion in their hearts, this was an expensive but rewarding journey. Their goal is to take THE SHEDS to Sydney Fringe in September. However, this time, they're going to need some financial assistance in order to make it happen.
The original play examines the underlying tensions between mateship and masculinity in Australian sport. Darren Anderson, the star player for the premiership-winning Fitzroy Fighters AFL team, is young, talented, and so convinced of his popularity that when he casually announces that he's gay, he assumes the news will be readily accepted by everyone. It isn't. THE SHEDS touches on sexism, racism, homophobia, and even the recent topical issue of drugs in sport. Rife with foul language, stigma, secrets, violence and nudity -THE SHEDS is set entirely within the locker room of the team's home ground.
Funding help is required to:
- Pay for the venue.
- Help cover the Sydney Fringe Registration Fees.
- Purchase the set pieces and the props.
- Costumes, AFL Gear for the boys.
- Pay for lighting and our AV requirements.
- Hire out a rehearsal space in Melbourne.
- Create some awesome marketing materials (posters, leaflets, online and programs).
- Hire some amazing local Sydney actors to fill out our smaller roles.
- Hire a 4WD in order to drive gear, and the three Melbourne cast members from Melbourne to Sydney.
- Put up in some low-cost accommodation in Sydney for the week of the show.
- Lower the show's carbon footprint with eco-friendly materials.
THE SHEDS Crowdfunding Project Page: http://bit.ly/1lGoSZ7