Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 10/17/2012 -- BMI View: Despite a downward revision to our overall assessment of the size of Latvia's pharmaceutical market, we remain cautiously optimistic about the development of the market and our historic revisions have not had an overly significant impact on our growth projections over our five- and 10-year forecast periods. We have maintained our growth rate for 2012 of 4.0% in local currency terms, but we warn this is equivalent to a 5.2% contraction in US dollar terms. High out-of-pocket contributions to healthcare remain the key source of spending on medicines. We envisage further tightening of government budgets, in line with the commitment to fiscal austerity and joining the euro.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Pharmaceuticals: LVL206mn (US$405mn) in 2011 to LVL214mn (US$384mn) in 2012; +4.0% in local currency terms and -5.2% in US dollar terms. Historic expenditure figures revised, local currency y-o-y growth forecast broadly in line with Q312.
- Healthcare: LVL893mn (US$1.76bn) in 2011 to LVL926mn (US$1.66bn) in 2012; +3.7% in local currency terms and -5.4% in US dollar terms. Local currency forecast broadly in line with Q312.
- Medical devices: LVL78mn (US$153mn) in 2011 to LVL81mn (US$145mn) in 2012; +3.7% in local currency terms and -5.4% in US dollar terms. Local currency forecast unchanged from Q312.
Risk/Reward Rating: Despite its composite score being some 3.0% lower in relation to the previous quarter, Latvia is again ranked 10th out of the 20 markets surveyed as part of the emerging Europe region in the Q412 Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings (RRRs). While Latvia offers a favourable risk profile, supported by a business-friendly operating environment, its pharmaceutical market value is expected to shrink in 2012, as measured in US dollars, which negatively impacts its potential commercial rewards.
Key Trends And Developments
- We have revised our assessment of the Latvian Pharmaceutical market, including historic and current figures. We now calculate that the size of the market reached LVL205.75mn (US$405mn) in 2011, down from our previous figure of LVL284.01mn (US$559mn). Our revised figure reflects the market's turnover for medicines reaching a consumer (through general pharmacies, medical treatment institutions, hospitals, veterinary health care establishments and other consumers at final prices including VAT), rather than our previous assessment that was based on total medicines turnover in the country at final prices including VAT, which included resales between distributors and therefore did not adequately reflect the dynamics of the market. The Latvian State Agency of Medicines (Zalu Valsts Agenturas, ZVA) remains our primary source for pharmaceutical consumption data.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Healthcare research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Sweden Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2012
- Cipher Pharmaceuticals Inc. (DND) - Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare - Deals and Alliances Profile
- Egypt Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2012
- Turkey Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2012
- Netherlands Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2012
- Galectin Therapeutics, Inc. (GALT) - Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare - Deals and Alliances Profile
- Australia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2012
- Taiwan Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2012
- Pharmaceutical & Healthcare Annual Deals Analysis 2012
- Abbott Laboratories (ABT) - Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare - Deals and Alliances Profile