Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 07/23/2014 -- We remain generally optimistic towards Malaysia's commitment to provide better quality and access to healthcare , as the government plans to expand and upgrade its hospital network. However, we have downgraded Malaysia's pharmaceutical sales forecast due to a slowdown in pharmaceutical trade in 2013. The country's slower economic growth in 2014, coupled with the fact that investment in the pharmaceuticals sector will take longer than expected to bring returns, are downside risks to our outlook.
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Pharmaceuticals: MYR6.60bn (USD2.10bn) in 2013 to MYR7.17bn (USD2.24bn) in 2014; +8.6% in local currency and +6.9% in US dollar terms. Forecast lowered due to the release of reduced 2013 trade figures .
- Healthcare: MYR40.27bn (USD12.78bn) in 2013 to MYR43.79bn (USD13.68bn) in 2014; +8.8% in local currency and +7.1% in US dollar terms. Forecast raised from Q4 20 13 due to the release of 2014 budget.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Risk/Reward Rating: In Q3 2014, Malaysia's Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Rating (RRR) stood at 60, marking no change since Q1 2014. It posts above-average scores for every indicator in the Asia Pacific region, and ranks eighth out of the 19 key markets.
Key Trends And Developments
The Malaysian health ministry is in the process of formulating regulations on traditional and complementary drugs to finalise the Traditional and Complementary Medicine Act 2013. According to Health Minister Datuk Seri S Subramaniam, the ministry will continue to take the views of interested parties into account in order to improve the Act, which was first announced at Dewan Rakyat in February 2012 following a public campaign. Subramaniam said: 'Besides ensuring the quality, safety and efficacy of such medical services, continuous improvement of the law will also raise the professionalism of such medical practitioners,' reports the Borneo Post.
DKSH Holdings Malaysia is opening a new 130,000 square feet healthcare distribution centre on the...
The Malaysia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s forecasts for drugs and healthcare expenditure and imports and exports, focusing on the growth outlook for the prescription, OTC, patented drugs and generics market segments.
BMI's Malaysia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report provides industry professionals, strategists, company executives, investors, analysts and sales/marketing heads with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Malaysian pharmaceutical and healthcare industry.
- Benchmark BMI's independent pharmaceutical and healthcare industry forecasts for Malaysia to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Malaysian pharmaceutical and healthcare market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in the Malaysian pharmaceutical and healthcare sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Malaysia.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and Competitive Landscape Tables.
BMI Industry View & Industry SWOT
An at-a-glance perspective on latest regulatory developments, key forecast indicators and major corporate developments, covering the prescription, OTC and generics markets. The SWOT outlines strategic factors which affect BMI's forecast analysis, and taken together with BMI's political, economic and business environment SWOTS, it gives a complete overview of market climate.
Snapshot of key market characteristics, including total size of pharmaceuticals and healthcare segments, growth drivers, leading therapeutic areas and the competitive landscape.
Details of the industry regulatory framework and key legislation covering the licensing of new products/services, pricing and reimbursements, intellectual property, taxation and advertising, as well as an analysis of the overall regulatory burden.
Focus on government healthcare reforms, epidemiological trends, company M&As, product launches, market entries, FDI activity, R&D, biotechnology, clinical trials and supply chain issues.
BMI Industry Forecasts
Forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast, including:
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Healthcare research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Egypt Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2014
- Moldova Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2014
- Peru Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2014
- France Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2014
- Turkey Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2014
- Slovenia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2014
- United Kingdom Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2014
- Lithuania Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2014
- Jordan Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2014
- Portugal Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2014