Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 01/09/2014 -- Belgium's economy is gradually beginning to recover, and while we expect that widespread cuts and austerity measures will hold back growth in the pharmaceuticals market in the short term, the healthcare market should begin to show signs of recovery in the short term. One of the factors supporting the sector is Belgium's advanced R&D industry. It is a European hub for clinical trials, new drug development and niche research and this attracts the attention of multinational firms. The handful of partnerships and research agreements signed over the past three months illustrate Belgium's appeal to foreign pharma firms. In terms of the domestic market, per capita spending on pharmaceuticals may be high, but it is subjected to continual downward pressure - a fact that is creating opportunities for growth for manufacturers of generic drugs.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Pharmaceuticals: EUR5.89bn (US$7.48bn) in 2012 to EUR5.79bn (US$7.71bn) in 2013; -1.6% in local currency terms and +3.0% in US dollar terms. Local currency forecast virtually unchanged from Q413.
- Healthcare: EUR40.09bn (US$50.92bn) in 2012 to EUR40.70bn (US$54.13bn) in 2013; +1.5% in local currency terms and +6.3% in US dollar terms. Local currency forecast unchanged from Q413.
Risk/Reward Rating: In our latest Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Rating (RRR) assessment, Belgium fell two places in the regional table, ranking eight out of the thirteen markets surveyed in the Western European region. Belgium scores above regional average scores for every indicator, with the exception of Country Risk, where its small population size limits opportunities.
Key Trends And Developments
- Belgium's Ablynz and Swiss biotech firm Merck Serono announced in September 2013 that they had entered into a research alliance. Under the terms of the agreement, Ablynx will receive funding from Merck Serono and the two will select disease targets together. A month later, Ablynx announced plans to present pre-clinical proof of concept data from ALX-0761, a nanobody developed through a partnership with Merck Serono, for rheumatoid arthritis.
- In September 2013, Belgium's Galapagos entered into a global alliance with AbbVie for the development of therapies for the treatment of cystic fibrosis. The two firms aim to build potentiators and correctors discovered by Galapagos and expand the range of molecules with a view to begin Phase 1 clinical trials for oral drugs for cystic fibrosis by end-2014.
- Regulatory changes, introduced in December 2012 and implemented in end-June 2013, mean that hospital pharmacists must now pass a three-year training period, rather than the previous one-year recognition system.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Healthcare research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Malaysia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Russia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Sweden Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Saudi Arabia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Estonia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Qatar Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Kenya Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Bulgaria Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Algeria Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Nigeria Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014