Recently published research from Markets and Markets, "Global Traction Transformer Market, By Type, Rolling Stock, Voltage Network & Geography (2013-2018)", is now available at Fast Market Research
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 02/23/2013 -- Electric traction is a highly advantageous substitute to conventional fossil fuel-based traction systems. The traction transformer is an integral part of the electric traction system. Traction transformers present on-board the trains and rolling stock transform the high voltage from the overhead catenary into low usable voltage for the traction motors.
The traction transformer is divided into three major segments based on type, namely, tap changing, tapped, and rectifier. Tapped transformers contribute the maximum revenue (89.5% in 2013) to the traction transformer market as they are being used in locomotives and high speed trains due to their higher power rating. Tap-changing traction transformers are mainly used in EMUs and rectifier traction transformers are used for the propulsion of trams and trolley cars and the other urban transit systems.
Traction transformers are mainly used in four kinds of rolling stock:
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Electric Multiple Units (EMUs)
Typically, the traction transformers used in high-speed trains and electric locomotives require a high power rating (>5.5 MVA). EMUs are run at medium power rating and trams are generally run on DC traction systems.
As the congestion of the road and airways is becoming a major transportation concern for many developing and developed countries, governments are looking at projects like high-speed trains and tramways to ease this pressure. Thus, the traction transformer market is a key component of the overall growth of the rail transport industry.
The growth rate of traction transformers in high speed trains has been above average in the last five years and its unit shipments have been forecasted to grow from 315 units in 2013 to 541 units in 2018 at a CAGR of 11.43% from 2013 to 2018.
The global traction transformer revenue market is expected to grow from $1.17 billion in 2013 to $1.69 billion in 2018 at a CAGR of 7.52%. In terms of revenue, the electric locomotive market for traction transformers is the largest, but shipment-wise, EMUs are the major contributors. This is mainly because the electric locomotive traction transformer market is a high revenue market while EMU traction transformer market is a high volume market. The global unit shipment market is expected to grow from 6,031 units in 2013 to 8,507 units in 2018 at a CAGR of 7.12%. The average selling price (ASP) of a traction transformer for high speed trains and electric locomotives is generally higher than that for EMUs and trams.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Transportation research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Global Low (Zero) Emission Vehicle Market By Degree Of Hybridization & Type Of Traction Battery Used, Forecast, Market Trends & Analysis (2012 - 2017)
- Global Commercial Aviation In-Flight Entertainment & Communications Market, (2012 - 2017)
- Power Transmission and Distribution Market to 2020 - Intermittent Renewable and Distributed Generation Presents a Challenge to T&D Systems
- Network Camera and Video Analytics Market - Global Forecast, Trend & Analysis - Segmentation by Technology, Function, Resolution, Product & Service Type, System Architecture, Verticals, Application and Geography (2012 - 2017)
- Solid State (Smart) Transformer Market - Global Forecast & Analysis (2012 - 2020) By Application, Component & Geography
- Smart Grid Technology Market - Analysis and Global Forecast by Hardware, Software & Communication Network Technologies (2011 - 2016)
- Global Intelligent Building Automation Technologies - Systems Services & Information Technology Market Size & Forecasts (2010 - 2015)
- Variable Frequency/Speed Drives (VFD/VSD) Market - By Type , Voltage Range , Power Range and Application - Global Market Trends & Forecast to 2017
- Power Line Communication (PLC) Systems Market - Global Assessment & Forecast-(2013-2018)
- Gallium Nitride (GaN) Semiconductor Devices (Discretes & ICs) Market, Global Forecast & Analysis (2012 - 2022)