New Pharmaceuticals research report from Datamonitor is now available from Fast Market Research
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 11/13/2012 -- In comparison with major diseases, the targeting of rare diseases poses many different challenges, necessitating consideration of bespoke R&D strategies for drug discovery efforts to be successful. This report examines the issues that need to be considered in the earliest stages of embarking on a rare disease project.
- Understand why rare diseases make attractive targets for launching new drug discovery projects.
- Identify the key challenges that are presented by low patient prevalences.
- Assess how the research strategy chosen can be influenced by the disease prevalence.
- Understand the importance of considering issues of similarity versus other orphan drugs.
- Compare the scenarios in which repurposing existing drugs offers advantages over the development of novel drugs, and vice versa.
While disease prevalence has an impact on the commercial viability of a new treatment, returns are achievable even for ultra rare conditions. Rare diseases can provide sufficient opportunities for commercialization of multiple therapeutic agents. This is the case even for some ultra rare conditions such as Gaucher disease and Fabry disease.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Both clinical experts and patient groups provide valuable resources in understanding a rare disease and in identifying potential patients for clinical studies.
Many opportunities remain to develop treatments for untreated rare diseases. However, ultra rare diseases with high infant mortality present major challenges.
Reasons to Get this Report
- Can more than one drug be a commercial success for treating rare indications?
- What are the best ways of identifying patients for recruitment into clinical trials?
- Why it is necessary to consider logistic issues in planning clinical studies?
- What are the requirements for a clinical candidate to treat a rare disease?
- What factors determine whether a small-molecule or biologic strategy is most suitable?
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Pharmaceuticals research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Early Stage Drug Discovery in Disease Segments - Innovation Focuses on Stem Cell Therapies and Gene Therapies
- Drug Discovery in Rare Diseases
- Parkinson's Disease - Pipeline Review, H2 2012
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) - Pipeline Review, H2 2012
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Pipeline Review, H1 2012
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Pipeline Review, H2 2011
- Crohn's Disease - Pipeline Review, H1 2012
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Pipeline Review, Q2 2011
- Crohn's Disease - Pipeline Review, H2 2012
- Parkinson's Disease - Pipeline Review, H1 2012