New Healthcare market report from Business Monitor International: "Italy Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014"
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 12/31/2013 -- The sharp drop in SSN pharmaceutical expenditure in 6M13 cautions that spending on medicines will continue to fall over the rest of the year. This will have an impact on drug companies, pharmacies and patients. Our bearish outlook takes into account the government's aim to slash public healthcare costs. This involved reducing public healthcare costs by EUR900mn (US$1.2bn) in 2012, EUR1.8bn (US$2.4bn) in 2013, EUR2bn (US$2.7bn) in 2014 and EUR2.1bn (US$2.8bn) in 2015.
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Pharmaceuticals: EUR21.99bn (US$27.93bn) in 2012 to EUR20.91bn (US$27.81bn) in 2013; -4.9% in local currency terms and -0.4% in US dollar terms.
- Healthcare: EUR152.02bn (US$193.07bn) in 2012 to EUR154.05bn (US$204.89bn) in 2013; +1.3% growth in local currency terms and +6.1% in US dollar terms.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Risk/Reward Rating: In our Pharmaceuticals and Healthcare Risk/Reward Ratings (RRRs), Italy is 12th out of the 14 markets surveyed in Western Europe. Despite being a large market, Italy is characterised by low levels of annual growth, largely due to of widespread price cuts. Additionally, the Italian economy is one of the most vulnerable economies in an already shaky eurozone. High levels of public debt, poor infrastructure and a lack of competitiveness indicate that the country will remain one of the region's laggards over the forecast period.
Key Trends And Developments
- In September 2013, Strides Arcolab received US FDA approval for its subsidiary Beltapharm's facility in Milan, Italy. The plant, which has also received approval from the EU and Australia's TGA, manufactures liquids, semi-solids, ointments and creams. Strides commented that it is expecting its first approval in the US of a niche semi-solid product by Q114. Strides is currently developing a portfolio of liquids and semi-solid products for the US and EU markets and has over 12 products at various stages of development or approval. Strides already markets semi-solid products in the UK market. Strides' subsidiary, Beltapharm, was acquired by the firm in 2006.
- In September 2013, Menarini acquired Bologna-based Silicon Biosystems, a provider of specialised molecular and cellular biology technologies capable of recovering and analysing tumour cells from blood samples. The acquisition presents Silicon Biosystems with the opportunity to capitalise on Menarini's infrastructure and business synergies and obtain the support and resources needed to continue developing the technologies and expand their use to clinical markets. While the acquisition complements other Menarini ventures, including its existing diagnostics businesses and its pharmaceutical and biotechnology research programmes, Silicon Biosystems is expected to operate as a stand-alone entity. Financial terms of the acquisition were not disclosed.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Healthcare research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Sweden Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Bulgaria Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Nigeria Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Romania Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Oman Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Uzbekistan Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Slovenia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Croatia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Latvia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Netherlands Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014