Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 05/30/2014 -- BMI View: Positive developments in the regulatory environment during the first quarter of 2014 have improved our overall outlook for the Mexican telecoms sector. We have frequently noted that the market is underdeveloped in comparison to other Latin American peers but its low mobile penetration rate and high population make it one of the markets with the most potential. The creation of a new regulator IFT, with more powers to enact policy changes than its predecessor has already begun to take action, introducing asymmetric mobile and fixed termination rates aimed at reducing the po wer of dominant operator Am?rica M?vil . We have therefore upgraded a number of our forecasts this quarter to reflect our increasing optimism about the direction of the market, although we caution that Am?rica M?vil will be unlikely to accept these decisions and will use any method to maintain its position.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
- Net additions surpassed 3mn during 2013, contributing to a 2.97% growth rate in mobile subscriptions over the course of the year. This is down from 7.75mn in 2012 and 8.3% growth in 2012, however. The fixed-line market posted 2.4% growth in 2013, despite some quarterly decline and declining demand for the technology across Latin America. to decline, with little to stop it falling to just 15% penetration by the end of our new five-year forecast period in 2018.
- Dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions increased by 15% y-o-y in 2013, reaching 4.14mn connections.
Mexico held on to the top spot in our ratings this quarter, marking three straight quarters at the top of the table. With low penetration, it is one of the few telecoms markets demonstrating a strong growth potential over BMI's five-year forecast period, helping keep the market above others in the region. The country saw a 5-point upgrade to its Industry Risks score, as the new regulatory body IFT has been imbued with more powers than its predecessor and has begun to target...
The Mexico Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of Mexico's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's Mexico Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in Mexico.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Fixed Networks research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Colombia Telecommunications Report Q3 2014
- Argentina Telecommunications Report Q3 2014
- Ireland Telecommunications Report Q3 2014
- 2014 Worldwide Wired Telecommunications Carriers Industry - Industry & Market Report
- Czech Republic Telecommunications Report Q2 2014
- Caribbean Telecommunications Report Q2 2014
- Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar Telecommunications Report Q2 2014
- India Telecommunications Report Q2 2014
- Nigeria Telecommunications Report Q2 2014
- Kazakhstan and Central Asia Telecommunications Report Q2 2014