Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 06/23/2012 -- BMI View: While the Netherlands is a low risk market from the point of view of multinational drugmakers, the country's modest per capita expenditure on pharmaceuticals relative to other Western Europe countries remains an issue. A further challenge facing drugmakers is cost-containment, which can only intensify as the Netherlands enters a phase of slower economic growth.
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Pharmaceuticals: EUR6.70bn (US$9.31bn) in 2011 to EUR6.54bn (US$8.44bn) in 2012; -2.4% decline in local currency terms and -9.4% decline in US dollar terms.
- Healthcare: EUR63.32bn (US$88.02bn) in 2011 to EUR65.09bn (US$83.96bn) in 2012; +2.8% growth in local currency terms and -4.60% growth in US dollar terms.
- Medical devices: EUR11.41bn (US$15.86bn) in 2011 to EUR11.77bn (US$15.18bn) in 2012; 3.2% growth in local currency terms and -4.2% in US dollar terms
- Business Environment Rating: The Netherlands' composite score in our latest Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings (RRRs) matrix for Western Europe is unchanged from the previous quarter. The figure of 64.2 out of the maximum 100 ranks it seventh out of the 10 markets in the matrix. Despite a developed healthcare market, the Netherlands' overall ranking continues to be propped up by its favourable risk variable, with the rewards negatively impacted by costcontainment, in combination with patent expirations.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Key Trends And Developments
- In April 2012, a Chinese traditional medicine was authorized for sale in a European market for the first time - Di'ao Xin Xue Kang, a well-known herbal medicine produced by the Chengdu based Di'ao Group, received marketing authorization from the Medicines Evaluation Board of the Netherlands, making it the first Chinese traditional drug to be identified as a therapeutic medicine in the European Union.
BMI Economic View: The Dutch economy's exposure to the eurozone sovereign debt crisis continues to weigh heavily on economic activity and confidence. As a result, our weaker outlook for domestic demand means we now forecast the economy to contract by 0.3% in 2012, from our previous 0.4% real GDP growth forecast. Weak longer-term economic activity in the eurozone is also set to drag on the Netherland's growth trajectory and we forecast economic growth to average a weak 1.1% to 2016..
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Healthcare research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Taiwan Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2012
- Turkey Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2012
- Nigeria Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2012
- Mexico Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2012
- Latvia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2012
- Sweden Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2012
- Kenya Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2012
- Partnerships, Licensing, Investments and M&A Deals and Trends in Pharmaceuticals - Q1 2012
- Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, Inc (ALNY) - Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare - Deals and Alliances Profile
- Abbott Laboratories (ABT) - Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare - Deals and Alliances Profile