Fast Market Research recommends "Portugal Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2012" from Business Monitor International, now available
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 11/13/2012 -- BMI View: Portugal continues to implement widespread changes to its healthcare sector as part of the EU/IMF/ECB's EUR78bn economic rescue package approved in May 2011, and the effects of cuts are taking their toll on the pharmaceutical industry. Delayed payments are commonplace, with the impact felt throughout the supply chain, and this is reducing Portugal's appeal to multinationals: Roche has suspended drug supplies to some public hospitals and press reports suggest that Merck KGaA is also considering reducing its investment in the country. While generic drug manufacturers are benefiting from moves such as obligatory prescriptions by active ingredients, the sector also claims that prices have dropped to five-year lows and that increased volume sales do not equate to increased revenues. With domestic opportunities for growth limited, at least in the short term, Portuguese drugmakers are turning to exports to bolster the bottom line. Bluepharma now exports 70% of its production and Bial has set a target of raising exports from 40% of production in 2011 to 60% by 2015.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Pharmaceuticals: EUR4.47bn (US$6.21bn) in 2011 to EUR4.24bn (US$5.38bn) in 2012; -5.2% in local currency and -13.3% in US dollar terms. Forecast raised slightly from Q312 because of macroeconomic factors.
- Healthcare: EUR19.59bn (US$27.22bn) in 2011 to EUR20.13bn (US$25.57bn) in 2012; +2.8% in local currency and -6.1% in US dollar terms. Forecast raised from Q312 because of macroeconomic factors.
- Medical Devices: EUR740mn (US$1.03bn) in 2011 to EUR763mn (US$0.97bn) in 2012; +3.1% in local currency and -5.8% in US dollar terms. Forecast lowered from Q312 because of exchange rate differences.
Risk/Rewards Rating: Portugal's score of 58.6 in Q412 places it at the bottom of the Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Ratings (RRRs) table for Western Europe. Portugal's healthcare and pharmaceutical market is suffering from the impact of widespread cost cutting measures as part of the EU/IMF/ECB's three year economic adjustment package, begun in May 2011. While Portugal is generally adhering to the terms of the package, the short-term drop in spending, and the longer term impact this will have on the pharmaceutical market hamper Portugal's growth prospects. In terms of country risk and rewards, the Portuguese have lower spending power, high levels of unemployment, and many of the young are emigrating, leaving an ageing population behind.
Key Trends & Developments
- Infarmed - part of the Ministry of Health - has responsible for the pricing of medicines since August 1 2012. Previously, it was the role of part of the Ministry of Economy.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Healthcare research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Sweden Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2012
- Cipher Pharmaceuticals Inc. (DND) - Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare - Deals and Alliances Profile
- Egypt Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2012
- Turkey Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2012
- Netherlands Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2012
- Galectin Therapeutics, Inc. (GALT) - Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare - Deals and Alliances Profile
- Latvia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2012
- Australia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2012
- Taiwan Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2012
- Thailand Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q4 2012