Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Qatar Shipping Report Q1 2013", is now available at Fast Market Research
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 02/05/2013 -- The Qatari shipping sector continues to be dominated by the export of the country's key commodity, natural gas, through the export terminal of Ras Laffan. Much of this is carried by national carrier Qatar Gas Transport (Nakilat). However, the country is looking to increase its container and dry bulk shipping presence as well, through the development of the New Doha Port, which seems to be being developed with an eye towards capturing some lucrative transhipment trade. Further, Qatar is making its presence felt in foreign ports sectors and is investing in developing facilities in Egypt.
Headline Industry Data
- 2013 Port of Doha container throughput forecast to grow 4.0%, and to average 3.6% per annum to 2017 (including transferred operations to New Doha from 2015).
- 2013 Port of Doha total tonnage throughput forecast to expand by 4.4% to 8.81mn tonnes, and to average 4.2% per annum over our forecast period (including transferred operations to New Doha from 2015).
- 2013 total trade growth forecast at 4.0%, and to average 2.0% over our forecast period as gas prices fall.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Key Industry Trends
Qatar To Invest In New East Port Said Complex
BMI believes that a Qatari investment in the Egyptian ports sector will provide a boost to facilities such as East Port Said, and will be welcomed by the government. The country has been struggling with particularly low levels of foreign investment since the overthrow of former president Hosni Mubarak in March 2011. For Qatar meanwhile, the investment is in keeping with its increasingly visible presence on the world stage.
Milaha Registers 5.5% Profit Rise
Qatari shipping company Milaha, formerly known as Qatar Navigation, registered a 5.5% year-on-year (y-o-y) increase in net profit to QAR441mn (US$121.2mn) in H112, compared with QAR418mn (US$114.87mn) in H111. The company's operating profit jumped by 6.6% y-o-y to QAR320mn (US$87.96mn) in the reported period, compared with QAR300mn (US$82.44mn) in the same period a year before. Meanwhile, Milaha's operating revenues expanded by 0.4% y-o-y to reach QAR1.16bn (US$318.80mn) in H112, compared with QAR1.159bn (US$316.05mn) in the year-ago period.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Transportation research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Australia Shipping Report Q1 2013
- Vietnam Shipping Report Q1 2013
- Chile Shipping Report Q1 2013
- Oman Shipping Report Q1 2013
- Philippines Shipping Report Q1 2013
- China Shipping Report Q1 2013
- Poland Shipping Report Q1 2013
- Nigeria Shipping Report Q1 2013
- Pakistan Shipping Report Q1 2013
- Iran Shipping Report Q1 2013
Copyright © 2005-2013 - SBWire, The Small Business Newswire - All Rights Reserved - Important Disclaimer
Contact Us: 888-4-SBWIRE (US) - 920-321-1250 (International)