New Consumer Goods market report from Euromonitor International: "Smokeless Tobacco in Norway"
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 11/13/2014 -- With the exception of Sweden, there is no other country in the world with the same per capita consumption of smokeless tobacco. In Norway, the consumption of smokeless tobacco was at its highest around the beginning of the 20th century to the 1930s ? this is as far back as the statistics go. Like the rest of the world, the takeover of cigarettes and other smoking tobacco also happened in Norway, especially after the Second World War. The turning point for smokeless tobacco, and what can be called the new era of snus, was the illegalisation of smoking in on-trade outlets in Norway in 2004. From then on, new regulations on smoking have followed each year, making it harder for smokers to smoke freely and thus contributing to growth in smokeless tobacco.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
The main players on the Norwegian market were Swedish Match Norge AS and Imperial Tobacco Norway AS sharing 93% of category volume sales between them. Swedish Match, which almost had a monopoly on snus and smokeless tobacco in 2004, still enjoys the position as leader with 65% of volume sales ? mainly because its share is high in loose snus with its General brand. However, its main competitor, Imperial Tobacco, has had the momentum over the last few years, fuelled by the popularity of portion-style snus and the recent surge for white portion style snus, a category where it leads. Swedish Match?s leading brand is General, enjoying a volume share of 43% in smokeless tobacco. Skruf is the leading brand for Imperial Tobacco with 27% of category volume in 2013.
As smoking is still expected to fall in Norway, the only category where tobacco companies can fight for continued growth is smokeless tobacco and especially Swedish style snus. In Norway, unlike Sweden, Imperial Tobacco has been highly successful, with its Skruf brand leading to a duopoly. This has made the competition quite fierce in Norway ? and Swedish Match has therefore launched two products specifically targeted at the Norwegian consumers ? the Lab Series and Nick & Johnny. With this remarkable background story, Euromonitor International still expects the competitive climate to persist over the forecast period ? with the new product launches, new brands and new pouch/packaging technology to conquer the different consumer groups with the different brands. As the difference between people?s preference in Norway are somewhat different from those of Sweden, specific product launches in Norway can also be expected, as Swedish Match would like to curb the momentum of Imperial Tobacco, and Imperial Tobacco will not stop with just one-third of the cake.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Smokeless Tobacco industry in Norway with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Smokeless Tobacco industry in Norway, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Smokeless Tobacco in Norway market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Smokeless Tobacco in Norway?
- What are the major brands in Norway?
- What are the traditional types of smokeless tobacco available in Norway?
- What is the product awareness of smokeless tobacco in Norway?
- What innovations are present in smokeless tobacco in Norway?
Reasons to Get this Report:
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 800-844-8156
Browse all Consumer Goods research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Smokeless Tobacco in Canada
- Smokeless Tobacco in the US
- Smokeless Tobacco in Denmark
- Smokeless Tobacco in Nigeria
- Smokeless Tobacco in Venezuela
- Smokeless Tobacco in Mexico
- Smokeless Tobacco in South Africa
- Smokeless Tobacco in Tunisia
- Smokeless Tobacco in Hungary
- Smokeless Tobacco in Cameroon