Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "South Africa Retail Report Q3 2013", is now available at Fast Market Research
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 09/09/2013 -- The South African Retail Report examines the long-term potential of the local consumer market, but flags short-term concerns about the impact on South Africa's economic outlook of weakening in the already subdued domestic housing market.
The report examines how best to maximise returns in the South African retail market while minimising investment risk, and also explores the impact of serious headwinds from the global economy and potentially high investor risk aversion on the South African consumer and on the ability of producers and exporters to realise returns in the short term.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
The report also analyses the growth and risk management strategies being employed by the leading players in the South African retail sector, as they seek to maximise the growth opportunities offered by the local market.
South African per capita consumer spending is forecast to increase by 60.9% to 2017, compared with a regional growth average of 53.5%. The country comes first (out of seven) in BMI's Middle East and Africa Retail Risk/Reward Ratings, although it underperforms for Risk.
Among all retail categories, mass grocery retail (MGR) will be one of the outperformers between 2013 and 2017, with sales forecast to rise 45.1%, from US$27.98bn to US$40.60bn by the end of the forecast period. At that point, organised retail will account for almost 64% of total grocery sales, higher than all the BRIC economies of Brazil, Russia, India and China. In the competitive arena, BMI sees upside potential in the fact that South Africa's MGR sector is comfortably Africa's largest by value, while Walmart's entry and commitment to focus mostly on food retail in South Africa highlights the sort of opportunities still on offer.
Over the last quarter, BMI has revised the following forecasts/views:
- BMI expects the South African economy to post sluggish growth over the medium term, forecasting that real GDP will expand by 2.3% in 2013 and 3.3% in 2014.
- The consumer sector has been a key driver of the recovery seen since the global financial crisis, but it is now losing steam. We forecast that private consumption will grow by 2.7% in 2013, which would mark a slowdown from the 3.0-5.0% rates recorded over 2010-2012.
- Q412 data on retail sales and credit extended to private households suggested that the consumer remained in decent shape in spite of indebtedness. Retail sales grew by 1.0% year-on-year (y-o-y) in October 2012, clearly anaemic but still respectable considering the extent of economic disruption that occurred that month due to industrial unrest. Meanwhile, credit extended to private households grew by a robust 9.3% y-o-y. However, retail sales growth eased to 1.9% in April 2013 (the latest month for which data were available at time of writing) as slower economic growth and rising unemployment curbed consumer spending.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Retailing research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- The Future of Retailing in South Africa to 2017
- South Africa Retail Report Q3 2013
- Consumer Attitudes and Online Retail Dynamics in South Africa
- Furniture and Floor Coverings Retailing in G20 to 2016: Market Guide
- Books, News and Stationery Retailing in G20 to 2016: Market Guide
- Sports and Leisure Equipment Retailing in G20 to 2016: Market Guide
- Music, Video and Entertainment Software Retailing in G20 to 2016: Market Guide
- Furniture and Floor Coverings Retailing in Emerging Markets to 2016: Market Guide
- South Africa Food & Drink Report Q3 2013
- South Africa Agribusiness Report Q4 2013
Copyright © 2005-2013 - SBWire, The Small Business Newswire - All Rights Reserved - Important Disclaimer
Contact Us: 888-4-SBWIRE (US) - 920-593-5640 (International)