New Food market report from Business Monitor International: "Mozambique Agribusiness Report Q2 2014"
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 05/05/2014 -- We hold a positive view on the agribusiness sector of Mozambique, as the country is able to tap into abundant and largely unexploited land and water resources. Of the utmost importance is boosting agricultural productivity by improving irrigation, and introducing technology to small-scale farmers. The government has also highlighted the need to improve food and nutritional safety and to facilitate more agricultural reform. Our optimism about Mozambique's agriculture industry largely hinges on the government's continued support for the sector. According to the Ministry of Agriculture's National Plan for Investment in the Agricultural Sector, Mozambique still requires investment of US$3.1bn between 2013 and 2017 to ensure that the country is self-sufficient in food. The plan aims to transform subsistence agriculture, predominant in the country, into commercial agriculture, and to use the sugar domestic sugar industry as a model for development.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
- Sugar production growth to 2017/18: 39.0% to reach 569,800 tonnes. As one of Mozambique's key cash crops, long-term sugar production growth will reflect an increase in export-driven demand and the opening up of new markets; output is also expected to benefit from investment in biofuels.
- Poultry consumption growth to 2018: 33.8% to 54,600 tonnes. Among the factors underpinning our strong growth expectations are Mozambique's expanding population and the country's rising standards of living.
- Corn production growth to 2017/18: 45.8% to 2.6mn tonnes. Corn will remain one of Mozambique's most important food crops; it will also retain its status as an important source of feed for poultry and livestock. However, despite benefiting from efforts to raise production levels, the crop will remain vulnerable to variations in rainfall.
- BMI universe agribusiness market value: US$721mn in 2014 (down from US$758mn in 2013; growth expected to average -0.4% annually between 2013 and 2017).
- Real GDP growth: 6.9% in 2014 (down from 8.0% in 2013; projected to average 8.1% annually between 2014 and 2018).
- Consumer price inflation: 3.8% year-on-year (y-o-y) in 2014 (down from 4.3% in 2013; predicted to average 5.9% over 2014-2018).
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Food research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- China Agribusiness Report Q2 2014
- Colombia Agribusiness Report Q2 2014
- India Agribusiness Report Q2 2014
- Malaysia Agribusiness Report Q2 2014
- Vietnam Agribusiness Report Q2 2014
- Philippines Agribusiness Report Q2 2014
- Morocco Agribusiness Report Q2 2014
- Cameroon Agribusiness Report Q2 2014
- Thailand Agribusiness Report Q2 2014
- Iran Agribusiness Report Q2 2014