Roswell, GA -- (SBWIRE) -- 01/29/2016 -- People today live in a consumerist society. What does this mean? That sales around the world don´t decrease after Christmas, that´s just a busted myth. For that reason, fraudulent transactions can appear at any time of the year, affecting businesses from all around the world. In fact, a recent study has shown that retail fraud attempts have increased by 30% in the last year. This is definitely a red flag for merchants who aren´t particularly knowledgeable about online security.
What to look out for
The most common pattern of a fraudulent activity, is when numerous accounts get created from same IP address. Moreover, checking the age registered by the suspicious customer might also be effective way to prevent fraud. A study has shown that people who register with an age ranging from 85-90 are usually lying. Being completely objective, it`s not likely that a person with that age is buying merchandise online. It`s not that it will never happen, it is possible, but not likely.
In addition, being careful with the billing address of online shoppers is also recommended. In the United States, Alaska is the place with the most users committing fraudulent transactions online.
How to protect an online business
There are several ways to protect an online business from hackers and fraudulent users. Most of them are pretty easy to set up and don`t require a vast amount of knowledge or investment.
1. Get a good antivirus. Once registering for an antivirus, it is important to set it up for it to update its software automatically. This way, the computer will systematically search for patches and spyware.
2. Data encryption. Having an encryption software, will ensure that customer information will always be safe. Popular credit card providers like Visa or MasterCard demand online merchants to use data encryption in every transaction to protect customers who pay with credit cards online.
3. Always update your computer`s software. It might be kind of annoying to always update to the latest OS. Nevertheless, the newest version always comes with crucial updates that fix some vulnerabilities.
4. Be careful with hyperlinks. Before following a link verify that it is from a trustable source. Scammers often use this method to commit fraud while shopping online.
5. Always delete your history. Make sure cookies are deleted when erasing browser`s history. Cookies usually store some information like passwords or usernames in certain pages. To avoid this, always get rid of them when deleting browsing history.
All in all, there is no such thing as being 100% safe from being tricked by hackers or spammers. However, it does help to prevent potential thefts by having the appropriate software to protect both personal computer and online customer's information.
About Netcom PaySystem
To learn more about Netcom PaySystem payment processing solutions, simply fill out this quick online application to get started and a representative will be in contact within 24-48 hours or for faster service please feel free to contact us at 800-875-6680.
Netcom PaySystem prides itself on being eager to practice good, old-fashioned customer care as it is to pioneer new products. Netcom PaySystem is proud to provide the most up to date and innovative products such as m-Commerce Mobile Solutions, and Virtual Terminal solutions. In addition, the company offers the merchant access to POS Systems, ACH Check Services, Check Guarantee, Recurring Billing, Check21, BOC, Credit and Debit Card Processing, Gift and Loyalty Cards, and Merchant Working Capital. Netcom PaySystem's attrition rate is one of the lowest, if not the lowest in the industry. Netcom PaySystem can proudly boast that that only two to four percent of its clients ever leave the company, and out of that; close to 50 percent return within the first year. For more information, please visit http://netcompaysystem.com.
Company Name: Netcom PaySystem
Contact Person: Media Relations
Country: United States