Fast Market Research recommends "Italy Food & Drink Report Q1 2014" from Business Monitor International, now available
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 01/09/2014 -- Following nine straight quarters of contraction, we forecast real GDP growth in Italy to reach 0.4% and 0.7% in 2014 and 2015 respectively. With one of the highest household savings rates in Europe prior to the crisis, and among the lowest private debt burdens, private consumption has not been a strong driver of GDP growth in the past decade. We do not expect this trend to change, and forecast private consumption growth of 0.3% and 0.7% in 2014 and 2015 respectively. This has negative implications for food and drink spending.
Headline Industry Data (local currency)
- 2013 per capita food consumption = -0.6% year-on-year (y-o-y); compound annual growth rate (CAGR) 2013 to 2017 = +0.9%
- 2013 alcoholic drink value sales = +3.21%; CAGR 2013 to 2017 = +1.8%
- 2013 soft drink value sales = -3.1% ; CAGR 2013 to 2017 = +1.8%
- 2013 mass grocery retail sales = -0.1%; CAGR 2013 to 2017 = +1.1%
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Key Industry Trends And Developments
Nestle Looks To Ferrero for Growth: There were reports in autumn 2013 that Swiss giant Nestle had approached Italian confectionery manufacture Ferrero in an attempt to gauge interest over a possible acquisition. Ferrero has since replied, stating that its business 'is not for sale in the most categorical and absolute manner'. A takeover of Ferrero, however, would represent an excellent move from Nestle, which is hoping to expand its confectionery business.
Campari Acquires Rights for Premium Gin Brand: In November 2013 Campari gained the distribution rights for Bulldog Gin, an independently owned brand with a leading position in the premium gin segment. According to the agreement, starting in 2014 and lasting through to 2020, Campari will distribute Bulldog Gin in the duty-free channel worldwide and in most of the markets where Campari has its own marketing and sales organisations, including the US. For Campari the agreement represents an opportunity to become a key player in the super premium gin category in key markets by acquiring the distribution of a superpremium brand with growth potential, and the option to eventually acquire the brand.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Food research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Colombia Food & Drink Report Q1 2014
- Singapore Food & Drink Report Q1 2014
- United Arab Emirates Food & Drink Report Q1 2014
- Brazil Food & Drink Report Q1 2014
- Chile Food & Drink Report Q1 2014
- United Kingdom Food & Drink Report Q1 2014
- Croatia Food & Drink Report Q1 2014
- Germany Food & Drink Report Q1 2014
- Czech Republic Food & Drink Report Q1 2014
- Australia Food & Drink Report Q1 2014