New Transportation market report from Business Monitor International: "Croatia Shipping Report Q1 2013"
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 03/08/2013 -- 2013 Will See Modest Recovery
BMI is now estimating that Croatian GDP will fall by 1.7% in 2012 (steeper than our earlier forecast of a 1.5% contraction) and recover moderately in 2013, with growth of 1.0%. Data releases for the first half of 2012 have convinced us that the downturn is sharper than we had expected. The main reasons for this are the government's fiscal austerity programme, high unemployment and low business confidence reflecting the wider eurozone sovereign debt crisis. There are some bright spots (such as a strong showing by the tourism industry); we think these will be boosted next year by Croatia's expected accession to the European Union and, towards the end of 2013, a recovery in the regional and global economy.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Looking at the ports and shipping sector, we are lukewarm on the outlook for bulk cargo, but significantly more positive about box traffic. On the whole, we don't think that bulk tonnage handled at Croatia's main ports will exceed the record levels achieved back in 2007/08. On the container side, however, we see steady growth boosted by regional import demand.
Headline Industry Data
- In 2013 Port of Rijeka tonnage volume will rise by 1.9% to reach 8.705mn tonnes, after an estimated 9.0% contraction in 2012. Over the medium term to 2017 we project average annual growth of 1.7%.
- 2013 Port of Rijeka container throughput forecast to grow 6.8% to 177,015 twenty-foot equivalent units (TEUs). Over the medium term we project a good average annual increase of 5.7%, ahead of GDP.
- 2013 total trade growth forecast at -2.8%, the second consecutive year of contraction.
Key Industry Trends
Port Of Rijeka Doing Well In A Bad Year
Despite the domestic recession and slumping trade, the president of Croatia's Rijeka Port, Vedran Devcic, said that the total volume of cargo handled in the first nine months of 2012 increased by 3% year-on-year (y-o-y). Also in the first nine months of the year, Rijeka Port pre-tax profit reached HRK1.90mn (US$326,395). Income and outgoings were HRK139mn and HRK137mn respectively. Sales abroad grew by 26% y-o-y, while sales in the country went up by 6%. Business incomes rose by 5% y-o-y. Two new Liebherr coastal lifting cranes, worth EUR5mn (US$6.49mn), were due to be delivered and installed by March 2013.
ICTSI A Plus Factor for Adriatic Gate
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Transportation research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Australia Shipping Report Q1 2013
- Vietnam Shipping Report Q1 2013
- Chile Shipping Report Q1 2013
- Oman Shipping Report Q1 2013
- Philippines Shipping Report Q1 2013
- China Shipping Report Q1 2013
- Poland Shipping Report Q1 2013
- Nigeria Shipping Report Q1 2013
- Pakistan Shipping Report Q1 2013
- Iran Shipping Report Q1 2013
Copyright © 2005-2013 - SBWire, The Small Business Newswire - All Rights Reserved - Important Disclaimer
Contact Us: 888-4-SBWIRE (US) - 920-321-1250 (International)