Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 04/02/2014 -- The Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) drug market is currently under-served by non-generic, targeted therapies. Whilst the only Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved biologic, Benlysta (belimumab), generated sales of $111m in 2012, there is little evidence that the drug's performance is significantly superior to other B-cell targeted therapies such as Rituxan (rituximab), which is often used off-license to treat refractory SLE patients. Therapeutics entering the market therefore do not face the staggering level of competition from currently marketed programs as in other markets such as the Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) market. Emerging market entrants that appear to offer significant therapeutic benefits are likely to cause dramatic changes to the market landscape.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
A growing understanding of the signaling pathways underlying SLE pathophysiology including, but not limited to, B cells, T cells and intracellular kinases, is translating into a higher number of novel, and more importantly, first-in-class targeted therapeutics entering the developmental pipeline. In particular, a high level of investment in the development of cytokine-blocking strategies is evident, as therapies targeting the interferon pathway are relatively common in the pipeline.
- The report analyzes the market for SLE therapeutics and the pipeline products in that market, with particular emphasis on first-in-class programs.
- A brief introduction to SLE, including symptoms, pathophysiology, disease scoring indices and overview of pharmacotherapy
- In-depth analysis and literature review on marketed products, including analyses of their safety, efficacy, treatment patterns and strengths/weaknesses, based on published clinical trials, as well as a reference table of drugs in terms of safety and efficacy
- Overview of how innovation products are contributing to the market for SLE therapeutics
- Comprehensive review of the pipeline for first-in-class therapies, which is analyzed on the basis of phase distribution, molecule types and molecular targets, as well as administration routes
- The changing molecular target landscape between market and pipeline, and, in particular, focal points of innovation
- First-in-class molecular targets, highlighting early-stage programs for which clinical utility has yet to be evaluated, as well as an in-depth literature review on novel molecular targets
Reasons to Get This Report
The report will assist the business development strategies of companies that wish to develop novel therapies with improved benefits to existing treatments. It will also be of interest to companies seeking to expand their pipeline portfolio through licensing agreements and co-development deals. Primarily, the report will allow clients to identify and understand market opportunities and the emerging competitive environment. It will also allow you to -
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Pharmaceuticals research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Frontier Pharma: Rheumatoid Arthritis - Identifying and Commercializing First-in-Class Innovation
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Partnering 2007-2013
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus - Pipeline Review, H2 2013
- Chronic Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus (CCLE) / Discoid Lupus Erythematosus (DLE) - Pipeline Review, H1 2013
- PharmaPoint: Systemic Lupus Erythematosus and Lupus Nephritis - Current and Future Players
- Lupus Erythematosus - Pipeline Review, H2 2013
- Lupuzor (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus and Lupus Nephritis) - Forecast and Market Analysis to 2022
- Epratuzumab (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus and Lupus Nephritis) - Forecast and Market Analysis to 2022
- Tabalumab (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus and Lupus Nephritis) - Forecast and Market Analysis to 2022
- PharmaPoint: Systemic Lupus Erythematosus and Lupus Nephritis - Spain Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2022