Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Malaysia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2013", is now available at Fast Market Research
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 06/07/2013 -- BMI View: We have revised our pharmaceutical and healthcare market forecasts upwards for Malaysia this quarter, because of continued signs of strong growth, and a clear government commitment to healthcare and the pharmaceutical sector. Steps are being taken to separate the roles of prescribing and dispensation (currently both tasks are undertaken by doctors), which will give patients greater choice and will help boost the generic drug sector. Malaysia is also pioneering in the halal drug sector, introducing a halal certification for medicines this quarter, which has the potential to boost exports to other Muslim countries. The country is also attracting investment in terms of pharmaceutical manufacturing - Ranbaxy plans to open a new facility - and biotechnology, with plans for a pharmaceutical park in the state of Melaka. Risks do remain, intellectual property and drug pricing are two examples, but overall, Malaysia is demonstrating strong growth potential.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Pharmaceuticals: MYR6.06bn (US$1.96bn) in 2012 to MYR6.5bn (US$2.20bn) in 2013; +7.3% in local currency and +12.3% in US dollars. Forecast raised from Q113 because of increasing government commitment to pharmaceuticals and regulatory developments.
- Healthcare: MYR41.69bn (US$13.50bn) in 2011 to MYR44.51bn (US$15.09bn) in 2012; +6.8% in local currency and +11.8% in US dollars. Forecast raised from Q113 on account of proposed regulatory reform.
Risk/Reward Rating: Malaysia's Pharmaceutical Risk/Reward Rating (RRR) score for Q213 is unchanged from the previous quarter. This is also the case for all other countries in BMI's proprietary system that ranks pharmaceutical markets according to attractiveness to multinational drugmakers. A minor re-weighting of one of the RRR components is being implemented to improve the tool, and the adjusted scores for all markets will be published in the Q313 updates of the Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare reports. Malaysia has a RRR score of 59.3 out of 100, making it the eighth most attractive pharmaceutical market in the Asia Pacific region.
Key Trends And Developments
- In January 2013, the Ministry of Health opened up a pharmacy bill to public consultation and feedback, which proposes granting pharmacists an exclusive right to dispense medication. Currently doctors both prescribe and distribute medicines.
- The Chemical Company of Malaysia was the first pharmaceutical firm to be awarded a halal certification, in January 2013. The halal logo is now present on around 200 products, mainly OTC medicines. The move opens up export potential for halal-approved drugs to other Muslim countries.
- Ranbaxy Malaysia received approval in September 2012 for the construction of its second manufacturing facility in the country, which will involve an investment of MYR125mn (US$40n).
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Healthcare research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Romania Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2013
- Nigeria Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2013
- Croatia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2013
- Kuwait Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2013
- Italy Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2013
- Poland Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2013
- Australia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2013
- Singapore Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2013
- Portugal Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2013
- Central America Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2013