Fast Market Research recommends "Romania Telecommunications Report Q1 2013" from Business Monitor International, now available
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 03/07/2013 -- BMI View: The Romanian telecoms market contains a number of major international players, such as Cosmote, backed by OTE and Deutsche Telekom, Orange, and Vodafone in the mobile sector, as well as Liberty Global-owned UPC in the wireline sector. While the mobile subscriber market has witnessed declines in total subscriber numbers in recent quarters, the latest data from operators show a return to growth in Q212. Romania is at a crossroads in terms of market development: the recent spectrum auction sees five operators being awarded LTE-capable bandwidth, and Vodafone had already begun trials of its 4G network at the time of writing. But faster download speeds require investment in LTE technology and 4G-capable infrastructure, and regular cuts to mobile termination rates (most recently in September 2012) have had a negative impact on operators' profits. The question remains: will the potential returns of 4G encourage operators' shareholders to approve new capital expenditure in a country where growth has been sluggish, and regulatory measures and weak economic conditions are hitting the market hard?
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
- Inactive subscription discounting was repeated this quarter, but even despite these losses, the market has grown overall. The mobile market climbed to 27.183mn subscriptions in Q212; it gained 151,000 subscribers from Q112.
- The broadband market has seen a sharp slowdown in growth, falling from 19.1% growth in 2010 to 9.7% growth in 2011.
- The fixed-line market saw subscription growth in 2011, which we believe to be the result of the increasing popularity of bundled services.
Key Trends And Developments
Five operators won a total of 485MHz of spectrum in the 800MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz and 2600MHz bands. Cosmote, Orange, Vodafone, RCS&RDS and 2K Telecom all acquired spectrum, and are obliged to host MVNOs as part of the terms of the agreement.
Following the successful allocation of 4G-capable spectrum, Romania's mobile operators are keen to launch LTE services. Vodafone began LTE trials at the end of October 2012, Orange aims to begin its LTE pilot before the end of 2012 and Cosmote plans to launch LTE services in 2013.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Fixed Networks research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Central America Telecommunications Report Q1 2013
- Bahrain Telecommunications Report Q1 2013
- Hong Kong Telecommunications Report Q1 2013
- Bangladesh Telecommunications Report Q1 2013
- Philippines Telecommunications Report Q1 2013
- Kenya Telecommunications Report Q1 2013
- Colombia Telecommunications Report Q1 2013
- Switzerland Telecommunications Report Q1 2013
- Iran Telecommunications Report Q1 2013
- Greece Telecommunications Report Q1 2013