Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 05/26/2014 -- Serbia's retail market continues to struggle in the short term and we forecast minimal growth of 0.14% total household spending in 2014. The country comes second to last out of 10 in BMI's Central and Eastern Europe Retail Risk/Reward Ratings, Highlighting its weak performance relative to its peers.
Although Serbia is not a member of the EU, its ongoing efforts to join and close trade ties with member nations helps bring long-term growth prospects to the nation. BMI forecasts that by 2018 Serbia's retail sector will grow to US$39bn and will have a GDP of US$55bn. The modest long-term growth prospects create opportunity for investment, however currency fluctuations and political uncertainty and ongoing unemployment create risk.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
The short-term outlook for Serbia's overall GDP and retail sector is not impressive, with BMI forecasting minimal growth over the next two years; however, growth will pick up towards the end of the projection period.
- Household spending will increase a modest 0.14% and remain a constant US$32bn in 2014.
- Real GDP growth will pick up towards the end of the projection period: 2017 and 2018 have forecast growth rates of 4.6%, and household spending is forecast to reach US$39bn by 2018.
- Serbian consumers continue to focus spending on the essentials, with food and non-alchoholic beverages taking 27.3% of total spending, and housing and utilities taking 23.0% in 2014.
- The retail market is expected to take 74.79% of total GDP in 2014, which is a significantly higher number than other countries in the region. This indicates a retail-focused consumer and lower levels of disposable income, which mandates spending on retail essentials.
- A trend of shifting consumer spending, and transport, recreation and health are expected to increase their share of total spending, while food and housing will see a decline in share.
- Unemployment will decline from 23.0% in 2014 to 15.0% in 2018. Despite this decline, these unemployment levels are high and are a risk and threat to long-term growth.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Retailing research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Peru Retail Report Q2 2014
- Romania Retail Report Q2 2014
- Chile Retail Report Q2 2014
- Croatia Retail Report Q2 2014
- Israel Retail Report Q2 2014
- Russia Retail Report Q2 2014
- Colombia Retail Report Q2 2014
- Bahrain Retail Report Q2 2014
- Czech Republic Retail Report Q2 2014
- Malaysia Retail Report Q2 2014