New Market Study: "Opioids Market to 2018 - Increasing Concentration of Abuse-Resistant Branded Generics Alter Competitive Dynamics in this Flat Market"
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 01/24/2013 -- Leading business intelligence provider GBI Research has released its latest research report, entitled "Opioids Market to 2018 - Increasing Concentration of Abuse-Resistant Branded Generics Alter Competitive Dynamics in this Flat Market". The current opioids market is characterized by a very broad and highly diversified product portfolio. Patients experiencing moderate to severe pain for a range of underlying physiological reasons are virtually exclusively treated with opioid analgesics. As a result, most patient populations experiencing more severe levels of pain across most pain indications, with the exception of, for example, migraines, are heavily dominated by opioids. As a therapeutic drug class, opioids have virtually no competition from molecules with non-opioid receptor targets. However, although the competition is virtually exclusively limited to opioid compounds, the current environment within this therapeutic class is highly competitive and strongly diversified. The approved drugs are based on 16 different opioid compounds and are differentiated on a range of characteristics, which include dosage, route of administration and pharmacokinetic features, as well as increasingly on the basis of abuse-resistance technologies.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Whilst the prescription rates of opioid analgesic have seen a historically unprecedented increase over the last two decades, particularly in the US, this has resulted in a dramatic concomitant increase in opioid abuse and dependency. Over the last few years, the growing concern over opioid abuse has resulted in tighter regulations and increasingly vocal concerns by physicians. Due to these concerns from regulatory authorities and physicians about growing opioid abuse, there has been a seismic shift towards developing abuse-resistant formulations of extended-release opioid analgesics, including both novel products and reformulations of existing ones. Since the launch of the first abuse-resistant product, Embeda, in 2009, a whole range of novel products and reformulations of existing product ranges have been brought to the market. While abuse-resistant formulations do not confer any clinical benefits, they have become an essential differentiating factor in the current market environment in order ensure that products remain competitive for the future. There is a growing concentration and competition among abuse-resistant products, which is expected to be the primary driving factor in this largely stagnant market, particularly as the current developmental pipeline is very small and is characterized by a lack of innovation, with virtually no novel compounds and strong saturation across multiple pain indications.
- An overview of the current opioid product market.
- A brief discussion about the inconsistent prescription preferences among European physicians.
- A brief profile of the most important opioid products.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Pharmaceuticals research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Generics in Cardiovascular Diseases Market to 2018 - Loss of Lipitor Market Exclusivities and Impending Patent Expirations of Plavix to Drive Generic Substitution
- Leukemia Therapeutics Market to 2018 - Strong Late-stage Pipeline to Sustain Branded Drugs' Major Market Share
- Biosimilars in Developed Countries - Launch of Biosimilar mAbs in Europe and New Regulatory Pathways in the US to Spur Market Growth
- Orphan Disease Therapeutics in Genetic Disorders to 2018 - Emerging Agents in Cystic Fibrosis Offer Strong Opportunities for Investment and Licensing Activity
- HIV/AIDS Therapeutics Market to 2018 - Despite Major Patent Expiries, Increased Uptake of Once-a-Day Fixed-dose Combination Drugs to Drive Growth
- Ophthalmology Therapeutics Market to 2018 - Dosing Convenience and Cost-effectiveness Continue to Drive Eylea's Prescription Share in Wet Age-Related Macular Degeneration (Wet-AMD)
- Bone Metabolism Therapeutics Market to 2018 - Hyperparathyroidism Sector to Decline in the Absence of New Product Launches and Increased Generic Erosion for Zemplar, Hectorol and Sensipar
- Herpes Market to 2018 - Genericization Compels Competitors Seeking Differentiation to Adopt Novel Drug Delivery Technologies
- Dermatology Therapeutics Market to 2018 - Novel Biologics Targeting Interleukin-17 Receptor Presents New Options in Psoriasis Treatment
- Gastrointestinal Disorders Therapeutics Market to 2018 - Novel Agents Targeting Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Chronic Constipation (CC) and Ulcerative Colitis (UC) to Reinvigorate the Market
Copyright © 2005-2013 - SBWire, The Small Business Newswire - All Rights Reserved - Important Disclaimer
Contact Us: 888-4-SBWIRE (US) - 920-321-1250 (International)