Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 12/26/2012 -- GlobalData, the industry analysis specialist, has released its latest research, "Petrochemical Industry in the US - Abundant Feedstock Supply from the Shale Reserves to Revive the US Petrochemical Industry". The study comes from the company's petrochemical research group and provides in-depth analysis of the US petrochemicals industry, highlighting major features and explaining how the shale gas revolution is driving its revival. The report gives the historic and forecast demand and production figures and also discusses the feedstock supply scenario. Additionally, it profiles major liquid-rich shale plays in the US and explains the factors encouraging the growth of drilling activities in these shale plays. It has been built using data and information sourced from proprietary databases, primary and secondary research and in-house analysis by GlobalData's research team of industry experts.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
The US petrochemicals industry is set to make a spectacular comeback after suffering from low demand and high feedstock costs for most of the previous decade. Emergence of the Middle East as a hub of basic petrochemicals production further eroded its competitiveness. In the middle of the last decade, the discovery of shale gas changed the dynamics of the US petrochemicals industry by leading to the revival of the natural gas industry which improved the ethane supply and created high profit margins at the end of 2011 and 2012. The shale plays are steadily taking center stage in the natural gas industry and so the petrochemicals industry is also hoping for an abundant supply of ethane feedstock in the future.
Drillers in the US are currently focusing on liquid-rich shale plays such as Eagle Ford, Barnett, Bakken and Marcellus, which, in addition to natural gas, provide valuable Natural Gas Liquids (NGL, a mixture of hydrocarbon gases such as ethane, propane, butane and isobutane), as by-product. As a result, NGL production in the US increased from 620 Million Barrels (MMbbl) in 2005 to 809 MMbbl in 2011. Ethane production has also received a boost from high NGL production and has increased from 236 MMbbl in 2005 to 338 MMbbl in 2011. It is expected to increase further as drilling in the liquid-rich shale areas continues into the future.
The report provides in-depth analysis of the opportunities and challenges facing manufacturers of petrochemicals in the US and abroad. Its scope includes -
- Geological and economic characteristics of major NGL-rich shale plays in the US
- Historic and forecast basic petrochemicals production and consumption
- Historic and forecast ethylene capacity in the US
- NGL and ethane production in the US
- Natural gas production and consumption in the US and the share of shale gas in the total natural gas production
- Natural gas price changes in the last decade
- Planned ethylene plants based on shale gas
Companies Mentioned in this Report: The Dow Chemical Company, Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LLC, ExxonMobil Corporation, The Royal Dutch Shell, Sasol Limited
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Materials research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Petrochemical Industry - Key Geographies Experiencing Change in Feedstock Scenario
- Asia Pacific Ethylene Glycol (EG) Industry Outlook to 2015 - Market Size, Company Share, Price Trends, Capacity Forecasts of All Active and Planned Plants - H2 Update
- Europe Purified Terephthalic Acid (PTA) Industry Outlook to 2015 - Market Size, Company Share, Price Trends, Capacity Forecasts of All Active and Planned Plants - H2 Update
- China Petrochemicals Industry Outlook to 2015 - Market Size, Company Share, Price Trends and Capacity Forecasts
- Asia Pacific Styrene Butadiene Rubber (SBR) Industry Outlook to 2015 - Market Size, Company Share, Price Trends, Capacity Forecasts of All Active and Planned Plants - H2 Update
- Asia Pacific Purified Terephthalic Acid (PTA) Industry Outlook to 2015 - Market Size, Company Share, Price Trends, Capacity Forecasts of All Active and Planned Plants - H2 Update
- Marcellus Shale - Providing Impetus to the US Petrochemical Industry
- US Petrochemicals Industry Outlook to 2015 - Market Size, Company Share, Price Trends and Capacity Forecasts
- Petrochemical Industry to 2015 - Increased Demand from China will Drive Recovery
- Joint Ventures in the Petrochemical Industry - Key Strategy to Manage Globalization