Recently published research from Markets and Markets, "Power Line Communication (PLC) Systems Market - Global Assessment & Forecast-(2013-2018)", is now available at Fast Market Research
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 01/11/2013 -- Power Line Communication (PLC) Systems Market (By Technologies-Narrowband & Broadband, Products-Transmission & Distribution, Applications-Smart Grid, Home Networking, Long Haul & M2M, Voltage Network-High, Medium & Low, Verticals-Industrial, Residential & Commercial & Geography)-Global Assessment & Forecast-(2013-2018)
Power line communication (PLC) is a technology that enables sending communication data over electric power cables. Power line communication is used at different frequency bands depending on signal transmission characteristics of the power wiring and the application for which it is being used. PLC's areas of application are across voltage ranges in both - power transmission and distribution. In this regard, the utilities are favoring implementation of the PLC systems in their substation automation projects. In addition to this, the medium and low voltages area of application is seeing an uptrend with respect to adoption of PLC solution as cost-effective and, in turn, favorable. Typical application in medium voltage range is smart grid and in low voltage is home automation and networking. PLC has its advantages and disadvantages in the different environments it is used in, but the fact that it does not require any external wiring infrastructure keeps pushing it to the forefront.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Apart from these applications in smart grids, home networking, and M2M communications in the Neighborhood area network (NAN) and Home area network (HAN), PLC also has a few niche long-haul applications in areas like irrigation, internal automobile communication, railroad and transport applications, etc.
PLC is broadly classified into two types by available technologies:
Narrowband PLC typically allows low data transfer rates and works at lower frequencies and has a longer range. Broadband PLC allows high speed data transfer, works at higher frequency ranges, and has low range.
Narrowband PLC has garnered a lot of attention off late due to its use in applications pertaining to the smart grid. Some of its major applications include Automated Meter Reading (AMR), street light control, electric-vehicle charging, etc. Broadband PLC has found its use as a "last mile" technology in applications like Internet access and home networking and control.
Narrowband-PLC is expected to witness a faster growth rate and has great potential with respect to smart grid and M2M applications. Narrowband PLC with its simple, reliable, and highly cost-effective solutions provide a perfect medium for two-way communications across the grid. Thus, PLC is in the initial growing phases in the smart grid application. In the other applications, PLC is at the introduction stage or has just started growing.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Energy research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Smart Grid Communication Landscape - Power Line Communication Gaining Edge Over Wireless Communication
- Power Transmission and Distribution Market to 2020 - Intermittent Renewable and Distributed Generation Presents a Challenge to T&D Systems
- Programmable Logic Control Systems (PLC) Market for Thermal Power Plants - Global Market Size, Competitive Landscape, Trends and Analysis to 2020
- Wind Power in the United Kingdom (UK), Market Outlook to 2020, 2011 Update - Capacity, Generation, Power Plants, Market Share, Regulations and Company Profiles
- Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Power in the United Kingdom, (UK), Market Outlook to 2020, 2011 Update - Capacity, Generation, Power Plants, Regulations and Company Profiles
- SSE plc (SSE) - Power - Deals and Alliances Profile
- Semiconductors in Solar PV Power Systems to 2015 - Government Incentives and Feed-in Tariffs to Create Growth Potential for Semiconductor Manufacturers
- Smart Grid Technology Market - Analysis and Global Forecast by Hardware, Software & Communication Network Technologies (2011 - 2016)
- Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) Market in Smart Grid for Electric Power, 2012 - Market Size, Vendor Landscape and Outlook to 2020
- Smart Grid Vendor Landscape Analysis - Strategic Activity Analysis and Outlook to 2015
Copyright © 2005-2013 - SBWire, The Small Business Newswire - All Rights Reserved - Important Disclaimer
Contact Us: 888-4-SBWIRE (US) - 920-321-1250 (International)