Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Algeria Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014", is now available at Fast Market Research
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 02/21/2014 -- In addition to the Algerian government's favourable policies towards attracting foreign investment, this quarter has seen two further indications of the country's drive to rapidly expand the capacity of its local pharmaceutical industry and reduce reliance on imported medicines. These include Saidal's detailing of an aggressive investment plan in a number of manufacturing facilities over the medium term and a decline in total pharmaceutical imports in the first 11 months of 2013 by 1.5%, according to local data sources.
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Pharmaceuticals: DZD272.95bn (US$3.46bn) in 2013 to DZD302.20bn (US$3.78bn) in 2014; +10.7% in local currency and +9.3% in US dollar terms. Forecasts broadly unchanged from the previous quarter.
- Healthcare: DZD718.43bn (US$9.09bn) in 2013 to DZD775.07bn (US$9.69bn) in 2014; +7.9% in local currency and +6.5% in US dollar terms. Forecasts revised down due to macroeconomic modifications.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Risk/Reward Rating: In our Q2 2014 Risk/Rewards Ratings (RRR) tool, Algeria's overall score increased to 50.5, up from 48.7 in Q1 2014 on the back of upward revisions to the country's urbanised population figures and overall population growth. These revisions support greater uptake of medicines and healthcare services. However, the country continues to rank ninth out of the 30 countries surveyed in the Middle East and Africa (MEA) region.
Key Trends And Developments
According to official figures by the Algerian Customs and the National Centre for Informatics and Statistics, quoted by the Algeria Press Service in January 2014, the total value (and volume) of pharmaceutical imports during the first 11 months of 2013 dropped by 1.5% from US$2.0bn to US$1.97bn y-o-y. We highlight that medicines for human use, the largest component of pharmaceutical imports, declined to US$1.89bn from US$1.91bn equating to a 0.58% contraction while volume figures declined by 7.35% from 29,810 tonnes to 27,618 tonnes. Following this, pharmaceutical products declined in value from US$67.08mn to US$50.08mn with the volume declining by approximately 25% from 1,437 tonnes to 1,079 tonnes.
In December 2013, Boumediene Derkaoui, CEO of local drugmaker Saidal, announced that three new manufacturing plants currently under construction, for the manufacture of generic medicines, will be operational by the first half of 2015, according to Algeria Press Service. The three manufacturing facilities will be located in Constantine, El Harrach (Algiers) and Cherchell (Tipasa). According to the group, it currently holds around 4.5 to 5.0% share of the local pharmaceutical market by value and aims to achieve 10% by the end of 2015.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Healthcare research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Croatia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014
- Australia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014
- Nigeria Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014
- Mexico Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014
- Kenya Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014
- South Korea Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q2 2014
- Malaysia Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q1 2014
- Furiex Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (FURX) - Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare - Deals and Alliances Profile
- Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report
- Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals Inc. - Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare - Deals and Alliances Profile