Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Chile Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2012", is now available at Fast Market Research
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 08/13/2012 -- BMI View: Chile's intellectual property (IP) regime continues to be a cause of concern for the manufacturers of innovative pharmaceuticals, with the country listed on the Priority Watch List of the 2012 Special 301 report. While the data protection regime has been improved, concern remains over lengthy delays to patent application decisions, as well as over the lack of effective patent enforcement. Nevertheless, we expect gradual improvement in Chile's IP regime over our 10-year forecast period, which should support the development of local drug market values, especially considering the government's investment in the expansion of the primary healthcare network.
Headline Expenditure Projections
- Pharmaceuticals: CLP1,508bn (US$3.12bn) in 2011 to CLP1,590bn (US$3.12bn) in 2012; +5.4% in local currency terms and +0.1% in US dollar terms. Forecast broadly unchanged from Q212.
- Healthcare: CLP9,034bn (US$18.67bn) in 2011 to CLP9,940bn (US$19.50bn) in 2012; +10.0% in local currency terms and +4.4% in US dollar terms. Forecast down slightly from Q212, due to use of new historical data.
- Medical devices: CLP256.33bn (US$530mn) in 2011 to CLP267.45bn (US$525mn) in 2012; +4.3% in local currency terms and -1.0% in US dollar terms. Forecast unchanged from Q212.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Risk/Reward Rating: In Q312's America's pharmaceutical risk/reward ratings (RRRs) matrix, Chile ranks in sixth place out of the 17 countries surveyed, an improvement from its eighth place in Q212, despite its unchanged composite score of 55.2 out of 100. We expect Chile, which has a favourable rewards profile, to climb up the regional matrix over the coming years as operational risks become addressed. Globally, Chile is 37th out of the 95 countries surveyed in total, above Bahrain and below South Africa.
Key Trends And Developments
- In April 2012, the health commission of the Chamber of Deputies in Chile issued a vote on the bill that would permit OTC sales of non-prescription drugs; however, the majority of parliament members voted against the bill. The bill is also not supported by the two deputies of the commission, even though it aims to increase competition in the sale of medicines, thus lowering prices and improving access to drugs.
- The Public Health Institute (ISP) of Chile was quoted by the local press as stating that 54 drug bioequivalence studies had been submitted in 2012, as of February 16 2012. The agency predicts the authorisation of 168 bioequivalent medicines over the entire year. Under resolution 244, bioequivalence studies are focused on products containing active substances used for the treatment of diseases such as cardiovascular, metabolic, central nervous system diseases, infectious diseases, HIV, muscular diseases, cancer and arthritis.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Healthcare research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Egypt Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2012
- Taiwan Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2012
- Romania Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2012
- Cipher Pharmaceuticals Inc. (DND) - Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare - Deals and Alliances Profile
- Turkey Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2012
- Zimbabwe Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2012
- Oman Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2012
- Nigeria Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2012
- Canada Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2012
- Peru Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Report Q3 2012