Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 02/10/2014 -- BMI's Q114 Southern Africa report analyses the latest industry, regulatory and macroeconomic developments in the telecoms markets in Angola, Botswana, Mozambique, Mauritius, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe. It also contains analysis of the latest market data relating to the end of Q313 and an update of our five-year forecasts to 2017 for the mobile, fixed-line and internet sectors.
- The seven countries in our coverage recorded an average growth 3.1% in Q213. Mozambique recorded the fastest growth at 6.8%, while Mauritius recorded the slowest growth at 0.4%.
- The average mobile penetration rate of the seven countries in our coverage was 97.1%. Botswana had the highest penetration rate at 155.9%, while Mozambique had the lowest at 43.9%.
- 3G as a proportion of total mobile penetration is expected to reach double figures in four countries during our forecast period.
- Although internet penetration is rising rapidly due to the increasing use of mobile phones to access the web, broadband penetration still remains below 5% in most cases, held back by the high cost PCs and laptops.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
The Postal and Telecommunications Regulatory Authority of Zimbabwe (POTRAZ) announced that it will begin to develop a new cost-based pricing model for telecoms services in January 2014. POTRAZ has hired an international consulting agency to advise it on the pricing model, where end-user tariffs will be calculated by adding a fixed sum or a percentage of the total cost, as income or profit, to the base cost of delivering services.
MTN Group has merged its mobile and data services operations in Zambia, MTN Zambia and MTN Business Zambia, to create a single communications solution provider for voice and data services. The benefits from the consolidation of MTN's local operations in Zambia can be summarised into two categories - efficiency improvement and innovation. With Zambia's mobile market approaching saturation and mobile ARPUs under increasing downward pressure, we expect the country's telecoms service providers to diversify their services and revenue streams to stay competitive.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Fixed Networks research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- South Africa Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- West & Central Africa Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- North Africa Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- Kenya Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- Tanzania Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- Ghana Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- Uganda Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- Nigeria Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- Saudi Arabia Telecommunications Report Q1 2014
- Jordan Telecommunications Report Q1 2014