New Food research report from Business Monitor International is now available from Fast Market Research
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 07/02/2012 -- Our outlook on the UAE's food and drink sector is positive, as consumer confidence appears to be returning. We expect growth of the core economy to gradually tick higher over the coming quarters, with elevated oil prices and improved consumer and business sentiment underpinning a steady expansion in real GDP. Following estimated real GDP growth of 3.3% in 2011, our current forecast is for 3.5% growth in 2012. The outlook for household consumption has also picked up in recent months, and we are now forecasting this to grow by 8.0% in 2012 as household spending is supported by recent government wage hikes, which have seen some public sector employees' salaries (particularly in the judiciary, health and education sectors) double. Monetary policy conditions will remain highly accommodative in 2012, as there is minimal likelihood of the US Federal Reserve hiking interest rates any time soon.That said, with new credit growth expected to remain in the low single digits, we believe a cautious stance is still warranted. Growth in the private non-hydrocarbon sector will be constrained by still-weak credit conditions. Moreover, our outlook on private consumption is tempered by recent reports which have indicated that UAE firms were among the most likely in the Gulf Cooperation Council to cut staff in 2012.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Headline Industry Data
- 2012 per capita food consumption growth (local currency) = -0.1%; forecast to 2016 = 17.8%
- 2012 soft drinks value sales growth (local currency) = 6.6%; forecast to 2016 = 47.9%
- 2012 mass grocery retail sales = 7.9%; forecast to 2016 = 54.6%
Key Company Trends
Geant Expansions: In March, the sixth Geant Easy banner supermarket was opened in the UAE by Retail Arabia, which operates the Geant banner under license from Casino. The new store, which is the first in Abu Dhabi, is part of the company's growth strategy that will see it opening 35 more stores in the UAE in the next two years. The store is located in the One Stop Center compound in Khalifa City A. As well as Geant, Retail Arabia operates LastChance and La Marche supermarkets in the Gulf Cooperation Council region.
Fast-Food Rising: In April, South Africa-based restaurant chain Nandos launched its 10th store in the Dubai Internet City and also announced its intension to double the number of restaurants in the UAE. Meanwhile, in March local restaurant chain Emly and Chilli opened its first outlet in Sharjah, the third new store over a five-month period.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Food research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- United Kingdom Food & Drink Report Q3 2012
- Food & Drink Specialists in Emerging Markets to 2015: Market Guide
- Kuwait Food & Drink Report Q3 2012
- Bahrain Food & Drink Report Q3 2012
- United Arab Emirates Freight Transport Report Q3 2012
- Household Products in Emerging Markets to 2015: Market Guide
- Tobacco in Emerging Markets to 2015: Market Guide
- Personal Care in Emerging Markets to 2015: Market Guide
- United Arab Emirates Commercial Banking Report Q3 2012
- Household Appliances in Emerging Markets to 2015: Market Guide