Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 06/27/2014 -- The Romanian telecoms market benefits from competition between major internationally backed operators. Competition covers the provision of basic services, where the arrival of mobile virtual network operators has had an impact, as well as higher value wireless data services, with all three mobile network operators having launched LTE services as of May 2013. The medium-term outlook is mixed in Romania, with continued price competition and economic challenges posing downside rise. However, rising smartphone penetration offers upside via the development of mobile data and value-added services such as mobile payment services. Meanwhile, in the wireline segment, the privatisation of incumbent Romtelecom should result in increased investment and boost quality for consumers and businesses.
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
- After contraction in 2011 and 2012 as operators discounted inactive subscriptions, the mobile market returned to growth in 2013 with the net addition of 223,000 subscriptions.
- The latest data from ANCOM show that by the end of 2013, there were 9.6mn active mobile broadband internet subscriptions in Romania, up by 35% from end-2012.
- Mobile average revenues per user (ARPUs) have continued to trend downwards following the brief stabilisation that accompanied the period of inactive subscription discounting. BMI expects price competition and IP substitution will contribute to gradual but ongoing declines in ARPU over the medium term.
Key Trends And Developments
In April 2014, Romania became the first European market where Vodafone launched M-Pesa, the most successful m-commerce platform in the world created by Kenyan operator Safaricom, in which Vodafone has a 40% share. Vodafone M-Pesa provides mobile money transfer and payment services to around 7mn Romanians who transact primarily in cash. Vodafone expects to attract 300,000 active subscribers to its m-commerce platform within the first year. The operator seeks to extend the service to other parts of...
The Romania Telecommunications Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s independent industry forecasts on the future strength of Romania's ICT market, covering the fixed-line, mobile and internet segments and analyses latest regulatory developments and corporate news, including investment activity, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships. Leading operators and manufacturers are fully profiled, highlighting their quarterly financial performance, capital expenditure plans and latest contracts.
BMI's Romania Telecommunications Report provides industry professionals and researchers, operators, equipment suppliers and vendors, corporate and financial services analysts and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the telecoms industry in Romania.
- Benchmark BMI's independent telecoms industry forecasts for Romania to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Romanian telecoms market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Romania's telecoms sector through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments in Romania.
- Assess the activities, strategy and market position of your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts and views, covering the ICT, fixed-line, mobile (including 3G), internet and broadband markets.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the wireline and wireless sectors and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
Business Environment Ratings
BMI's Telecommunications Business Environment Ratings provides a country-comparative Risk-Reward Ratings index aimed at investors (vendors, operators and suppliers) in the regional telecoms market.
The ratings methodology makes sophisticated use of more than 40 industry, economic and demographic data points.
BMI Industry Forecast Scenario
Historic data series and forecasts to end-2018 for all key industry indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions, plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast.
- Fixed-Line Telephony - Telephone lines ('000); telephone lines/100 inhabitants.
- Cellular Telephony - Mobile phone subscribers ('000); mobile phone subscribers/100 inhabitants; mobile phone subscribers/100 fixed line subscribers.
- Internet Markets - Internet users ('000); internet users/100 inhabitants; broadband internet subscribers ('000); broadband internet subscribers/100 inhabitants.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Fixed Networks research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Peru Telecommunications Report Q3 2014
- China Telecommunications Report Q3 2014
- Croatia Telecommunications Report Q3 2014
- Tanzania Telecommunications Report Q3 2014
- Greece Telecommunications Report Q3 2014
- Belgium Telecommunications Report Q3 2014
- Bangladesh Telecommunications Report Q3 2014
- Philippines Telecommunications Report Q3 2014
- Bulgaria Telecommunications Report Q3 2014
- Austria Telecommunications Report Q3 2014