Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 07/02/2014 -- The Singaporean economy continued its strong performance in early 2014 and we envisage private consumption accelerating slightly to 4.0% in 2014 from 2.6% in 2013. However, the possibilities for strong growth in the food and drink industry are limited by the relatively mature state of the sector. To 2018, we forecast only modest food consumption CAGR of 2.1% in local currency terms.
Headline Industry Data
- Total food consumption (local currency) growth year-on-year (y-o-y) in 2014: +1.9%; compound annual growth rate (CAGR) to 2018: +2.1%
- Alcoholic drinks sales (local currency) growth (y-o-y) in 2014: +7.1%; CAGR: 6.9%
- Total soft drink sales (local currency) growth (y-o-y) in 2014: +3.3%; CAGR to 2018: +3.4%
- Total mass grocery retail sales (local currency) growth (y-o-y) in 2014: +2.7%; CAGR to 2018: +2.9%
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
Latest Industry Trends & Developments
GIC Inks Exchangeable Loan Agreement With CCC: In May 2014, the Government of Singapore Investment Corporation (GIC) inked an Exchangeable Loan Agreement with Philippines-based Century Canning Corporation (CCC). As part of the agreement, GIC has invested PHP3.4bn (USD76.2mn) in CCC, which will be used by the firm to finance the growth and expansion of existing units, including but not limited to CNPF, probable acquisitions and venturing into new businesses. The agreement can be extended by both companies and will be for a term of one year. GIC can also swap both principal and all accrued interest into 245.5mn issued and outstanding shares of CNPF, where in it will hold 11% of CNPF's issued and outstanding shares.
Asahi Set To Acquire Etika International: In April 2014, Japan-based Asahi Breweries' Singapore unit said it was is set to acquire the dairy product business of Singapore Exchange (SGX)-listed Etika International Holdings in a USD329mn deal. Under the terms of the agreement, Asahi Breweries will acquire Kuala Lumpur-based Etika Dairies Sdn Bhd and 11 other companies in the region. The...
The Singapore Food & Drink Report features Business Monitor International (BMI)'s market assessment and independent forecasts for food and drink expenditure, consumption, sales, and imports/exports and forecasts for the mass grocery retail sector. The report also includes analyses of major regulatory developments, the background macroeconomic outlook and competitive landscape comparing national and multinational companies by leading products and services, sales, investments, partners and expansion strategies.
BMI's Singapore Food & Drink Report provides industry professionals and strategists, sector analysts, business investors, trade associations and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the food and drink industry and the mass grocery retail market in Singapore.
- Benchmark BMI's independent food and drink industry forecasts for Singapore to test other views - a key input for successful budgeting and strategic business planning in the Singaporean food and drink market.
- Target business opportunities and risks in Singapore through our reviews of latest industry trends, regulatory changes and major deals, projects and investments.
- Exploit latest competitive intelligence on your competitors, partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs, KPIs and latest activity) and Competitive Landscape Tables.
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI's key industry forecasts, and views, covering food and drink manufacturing and consumption and the retail market.
Business Environment Ratings
BMI's Food & Drink Business Environment Ratings provide a country-comparative Risk-Reward Ratings index aimed at investors, food and drink manufacturers and mass grocery retailers.
The ratings methodology makes sophisticated use of over 40 industry, economic and demographic data points.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats within the food, drink and mass grocery retail sectors, and within the broader political, economic and business environment.
BMI's food chapter is divided into sections such as Meat, Fish, Confectionary, Dairy and Canned Foods, and provides insight into a market's food industry, centred on a forecast to end-2018 for the sector. The chapter includes the following elements:
Industry Forecast Scenario - Historical data series and forecasts to end-2018 for growth of key indicators within a market's food industry. Including consumption, food consumption as % of GDP, canned food sales, confectionery sales and food and drink imports and exports, among others.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Food research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Mexico Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- Kuwait Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- Netherlands Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- Slovenia Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- Bahrain Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- Chile Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- Germany Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- Thailand Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- Hungary Food & Drink Report Q3 2014
- Turkey Food & Drink Report Q3 2014