Recently published research from Business Monitor International, "Thailand Oil & Gas Report Q1 2014", is now available at Fast Market Research
Boston, MA -- (SBWIRE) -- 12/24/2013 -- Thailand remains driven by a strong demand growth for both oil and gas which far outweigh domestic production. With no scope for the country to become self sufficient, it will be critical to develop the necessary import infrastructures and to maximise the country's below ground potential. With several delays already affecting the planned 21st licensing round, we expect oil production to decline over the long-term, and gas production to remain stagnant. Despite an uptake in exploration activities throughout H113-H313, an offshore pipeline oil spill which occurred in late July creates large risks of opposition to offshore exploration by a population already concerned by the risks it creates for the country's tourism industry. The main trends and developments we highlight in the Thai oil and gas sector are:
View Full Report Details and Table of Contents
- An oil spill in late July from a PTT-owned offshore pipeline near the island of Koh Samet could be a game changer for Thailand. The country has already experienced opposition to further offshore exploration due to the environmental risks it generates for the tourism industry, and we could expect this event to revive such protests in the coming months and further postpone the long-delayed 21st licensing round.
- Liquid hydrocarbons production has been excessively high compared to the country's proved reserves of 450mn barrels (bbl) in 2012; half oil, half condensate. We expect a small increase in production in 2014-2015, when production from the Manora and Nong Yao fields will boost output to around 432,920b/d in 2015. Nonetheless, we keep our position that in view of reserves, current exploration efforts and development projects, we see output slowly falling to 370,210b/d by 2022.
- Refined products consumption rose from 406,510b/d to 781,230b/d between 1990 and 1997, before the Asian crisis triggered a collapse and consumption sunk to 734,260b/d in 1999. Demand has been on a generally upward trend ever since and hit around 1.01mn b/d in 2012. We forecast consumption of 1.14mn b/d in 2017, rising to 1.29mn b/d by 2022. We therefore see oil import volumes rising from about 575,730b/d in 2012, to about 698,000b/d by 2017, and 900,000b/d by 2022.
- UAE based Mubadala Petroleum is due to start production at its Manora field on schedule throughout 2014. This will bring a well-needed additional 15,000b/d of liquid production to the country's falling output.
- This quarter, we have slightly reviewed oil production in Thailand to the upside, following the approval of a FID to development the offshore Nong Yao field in Concession G11/48 in the Gulf of Thailand by Mubadala Petroleum and its co-concessionaire Kris Energy. The field is planned to begin production in the first half of 2015, and will add a production of 10,000b/d at peak rates, a few months after first oil flow.
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is an online aggregator and distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff will help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget. For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156.
Browse all Energy research reports at Fast Market Research
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Voyager Oil & Gas, Inc. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q2, 2013
- Legacy Oil + Gas Inc. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q2, 2013
- China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- OJSC Rosneft Oil Company Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- Traverse Energy Ltd. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q2, 2013
- Insignia Energy Ltd. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
- DeeThree Exploration Ltd. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q2, 2013
- Sure Energy Inc. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q2, 2013
- Tuscany Energy Ltd. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q2, 2013
- Second Wave Petroleum Inc. Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q1, 2013
Copyright © 2005-2014 - SBWire, The Small Business Newswire - All Rights Reserved - Important Disclaimer
Contact Us: 888-4-SBWIRE (US) - 920-593-5640 (International)